What's new
What's new

burny 3 cnc on plasma cutter

mattjunior

Plastic
hi there - iv just purchased a plasma cutter with a burny 3 cnc,it didnt have user manuals and was wondering if any one had a copy they could email me? i was also going to see if i could use a pc to input nesting drawings,, any help on the softwear would be appreciated,,
thanks for your time
mj

You used to be able to download the manuals from Burny free.I think it is now Cleveland Controls and you have to register or ask for them.
Most of the Burny`s have a library of standard shapes which you can edit to suit what you.
You may have to buy nesting softwear but there is some cheapish stuff about.

thanks for reply mark, since i posted i have received a burny digistaf 3 manual from the previous owner,delighted to see as you say "burny`s standard shapes" as 50%+ of our work can be done from these.... just notice your scotland im newcastle tyne wear
thanks again
matty

thanks for reply mark, since i posted i have received a burny digistaf 3 manual from the previous owner,delighted to see as you say "burny`s standard shapes" as 50%+ of our work can be done from these.... just notice your scotland im newcastle tyne wear
thanks again
matty

Hi Matty,we`re five miles out of Edinburgh so not far from you.What are you doing/planning to do with your plasma?
Mark.

hi mark.. im in the industrial roofing/steel structure business so we use alot of purlin cleats,haunch plates etc, we have been doing them on a geka punch but its very slow and the quality was crap, hopefully this will sort it out, theres a standard shape called a "lamp stand" of all things, which is simply a rectangle about 100mm x 150mm with four 14 mm holes just in from each corner,it also repeats the product a bit like nesting, this is exactly what we make so hopefully monday we will get some done""""fingers crossed """",,what you into??

Hi Matty,these Geka`s are good machines but slow is hardly the word for it.Structural guys across from us have 100 ton Geka and I could drill holes quicker.
They went out and bought a cnc Ficep punch.Couldn`t even tell me what tonnage it was.I had to ask them maximum diameter it could punch through what thickness and tell them it was a 70 tonner.It`s even slower than the Geka.
We used to do a lot of bracket work,mostly a maximum of 6mm thick and all the machines were mechanical.Guillotines could do 48 cuts/min on 3mtr x 6mm if you could push it fast enough.Ficep mechanical ironworker,over 1000 holes an hour. :D
The volumes we were running were large on short lead times and it would not have been profitable with hydraulic machines.
I think that unless you have a reasonably high quality plasma source with your table,you may not be too happy with hole quality if you`re blowing thicker than 6mm..
What thickness are you working in mostly?

hi mark, u ok mate- we generally use upto 6mm plate for cleats and brackets but every now and then a bit thicker- we fired up the plasma yesterday and managed to cut a few rectangle shapes but we havent done any 14mm holes asyet, the hole quality is defnly gona be important so il have to wait and see what there like when we get it going --we spent all day trying to sus out the antiquated burny 3 programmer, the manual we have states 50 standard shapes that are editable but we could not find the shapes in the system , anyway i had to phone the manufacturer and they have said the one we have doesnt have the full range of standard shapes, they quoted 5k to upgrade the softwear or they may have later model plc card for the burny 3, obviously il see if the card will work -dont fancy forkin out 5k just for softwear, theres an option to plug in a normal pc with some sort of drawing softwear but il have to look into that,

cheers
matty

the hole quality is defnly gona be important ... they quoted 5k to upgrade the softwear or they may have later model plc card for the burny 3,

cheers
matty

We've been using a Burny 3 with an HT2000 torch for almost 15 years here. Standard shapes will do alot but you may want to consider investing in some software. Software will allow you to not only do more shapes, but used advanced lead in geometry (this will improve your hole quality) and nest jobs together. The Burny 3 controller does nothing for nesting. Software will also allow you to save jobs and come back and add more burning to them later, this really helps conserve scrap. If I was starting over I'd be looking at MTC Software for burning. SigmaNest is powerful but very expensive. MTC has divided there software up into more affordable packages.

Just a thought.

hi El Mustachio, i will be investing in softwear but i think it would be wise to see what the machine is like useing an upgrade card,i also heard of a usb interface Basic Omni Port Adapter 2.0 which looks easy to install i will take a look at that, just googled MTC Software and yes thats great but ill give it a bit of thought as there seems to be loads out there
thanks
matt

We`re running a 2.8 special.We can modify the lead in and out on the Burny if we want.It`s all in the parameters.
Admittedly softwear is the way to go,but usually not cheap.We might be able to help with the standard shapes.It might be possibly to take them out and reload them.Will need to look at the manuals.
What make of table and plasma source is it?
You know that Messer are on your doorstep in Cramlington.Not cheap but they know the Burny and Hypertherm products.

Hi Matty
is your manual a pdf.Would like a copy if it is.
Was thinking about these standard shapes.As all these controls use the same programming language there`s a chance the standard shapes are on an eprom or that they can be downloaded as programmes from one control and uploaded to another.

mark thanks for pointing me to messer --your quote (You know that Messer are on your doorstep in Cramlington.Not cheap but they know the Burny and Hypertherm products):cheers: i rang them and they had a 50 shape cartridge in an old burny3 which he give me for nowt!! ,,there realy help full and didnt try and sell me any thing just genuine advice,, we pluged the cartridge in and the 50 shapes were there, so we ran a couple of the ones we use and it were spot on, the plasma cut on 6mm plate is purfect , the next thing is to use autocad and draw what we want and cut it - which will no doubt be a chalenge

the burny 3 manual i have is a hard copy like a telephone book but i will try and get it scanned and send it to you if you want
matt

Hi Matt.Glad you got sorted out.Messer are very helpful,it`s just when it comes to actually buying from them it gets very expensive.
You have never said what plasma source you have,but I have a Hypertherm MAX100 and use genuine consumables.I asked Messer to quote but went with Premier Welding in Glasgow who are very competitve.
I have got a copy of the Burny 3 manual.I signed up for access to ITT Corps` secure server to get access to all the Burny files.I was going to see if we could download the shapes library from our control and give you a copy.
If I can be of any help just send me a PM with your contact details.

hi mark
i have sent you my details - same from me if you need any thing we make or do -give me a call ill look after you..
the plasma source is a air liquide zip 5.0, it seems ok but time will tell when we start cutting a bit more material,do you manually program your burny or do you use softwear,, if you dont use softwear how do you do bespoke shapes and position holes etc,
matty

Back