What's new
What's new

can I take my ground and stinger in my carry on?

cyanidekid

Titanium
traveling with my gear, and was going to put my ground cable and electrode holder and stinger in my carry on bag to get the weight of my other bags down below 50 lbs.

will they let me on with them?

Me thinks you could use it to strangle some one, so I would say no.

I couldn't take a tape measure on board.

I got to ask the obvious :
Why ?

Your not taking the whole welding machine, these things
aren't really like PPE that is personalized.

ahh, but I am.

the Miller (161 STH, just sprang for the small machine. I have dragged the Dynasty around enough!) is in the checked bag.

If it were a microwave oven or a blender (without the blade) you'd be OK. So the welder itself -- just another harmless plug-in appliance?

Any tool longer than 7" is a no. Worse yet, the final determination is up to whatever TSA agent you happen upon. Unless the TSA site has a specific "OK" for an item you're playing luggage roulette.

Logic would seem to dictate a "yes" for the wire and maybe the electrode holder. Reality is at least some time out of ten you'd be told to check the items or have them confiscated.

Best bet for the future might be one of the affinity credit cards or other status that allows you an extra free checked bag.

Large Priority flat rate box would likely be cheaper than an extra bag? At some greater risk of not arriving on time.

yes, thanks for the input, but I'm flying in the morning, working on Monday, so no time for shipping anything.

I'll ship some tools back, but I've been so busy getting the parts ready, haven't had a chance to pack and ship anything. Just got the new welder also, so I was still getting the unit set up.

I've flown plenty of times with the Dynasty in the checked baggage, no problem, but the last time Delta really screwed me on the baggage fees. 385$ each way on top of the fare. (fare was less each way than the baggage.) never again.

no, it was just to get the weight down below 50 lbs. (see above). I jammed them in my second checked tool bag and have them at 48.5, so I'm good. I won't risk trying to carry them on.

OK, now, got to throw some cold weather clothes in something. had to get the tools packed first! can always buy some long johns locally in Colorado...:)

no, it was just to get the weight down below 50 lbs. (see above). I jammed them in my second checked tool bag and have them at 48.5, so I'm good. I won't risk trying to carry them on.

OK, now, got to throw some cold weather clothes in something. had to get the tools packed first! can always buy some long johns locally in Colorado...:)

Are the temps colder out there than in NY state ?
(Don't worry, it's a dry cold.....:skep:)

Sounds like an interesting job, how about some details
if you can.

yes, thats what they say. just like "dry heat" I guess..

the job is a couple of (blackened steel and "weathering steel") freestanding fireplace flue surrounds in a private house at 9000' on the side of a "hill", at that altitude, yes, colder that Brooklyn for sure! about two tons of "flue".

its only a hill because Long's peak is right across the way..a crazy insane place to put a house. I will post some pics if the homeowners don't mind.

P.S. luckily only one is outside..

yes, thats what they say. just like "dry heat" I guess..

the job is a couple of (blackened steel and "weathering steel") freestanding fireplace flue surrounds in a private house at 9000' on the side of a "hill", at that altitude, yes, colder that Brooklyn for sure! about two tons of "flue".

its only a hill because Long's peak is right across the way..a crazy insane place to put a house. I will post some pics if the homeowners don't mind.

Didn't Ox post some pix of something similar that one of his chums
is building ?

I suppose that being in the mountains, there might be a wind chill factor that Brooklyn won't have.....

(Don't worry, it's a dry cold.....:skep:)

First time I worked in a truly "cold" environment one of my co-workers told me not to worry because it was a "dry" cold.
One of the other guys piped up and said: "Yeah, things shrivel up a lot faster." :eek:

...there might be a significant wind chill factor that Brooklyn won't have.....

There, fixed it for ya...:D

Lest we not forget the best part of working outside when below
zero (Fahrenheit).....Snotsicles !......:D

Subject to the whim of the TSA inspector at the gate. I had to send my stuff through twice last week on a trip to Vegas. Inspector found a very scary 3/4 full tube of toothpaste. Not allowed to take that much on board.
Go ahead and try bringing that stuff in the cabin. CAVITY SEARCH TIME!

Subject to the whim of the TSA inspector at the gate. I had to send my stuff through twice last week on a trip to Vegas. Inspector found a very scary 3/4 full tube of toothpaste. Not allowed to take that much on board.
Go ahead and try bringing that stuff in the cabin. CAVITY SEARCH TIME!

"....And he tied the jumper cables into a perfect Windsor knot..."....:D

Maybe wrap the cables onto your body, and claim it's part of your religious artifacts......:nutter:

I have flown a lot with a small miller inverter- usually a little maxstar, in my case, and I always check the cables. I tig on site, as I am often the last guy on a job site, and everything else is already done and perfect, and the risk of spatter ruining a brand new floor, or starting the carpet on fire in a library full of books, is a bit too much, so I pack fireproof blankets and do very small and controlled tig welding. I take my flowmeter, and rent a tank where ever I land- never had a problem renting a small argon tank for just a day or three. The most TSA attention I ever got was from taking the small weld cleaning device I use for stainless- its like a battery charger- once the TSA guys came and found me, sitting at the gate, and made me come back and explain the contents of my unpacked bag to them, but really, I think, just to have a conversation and check out how I responded and how nervous or twitchy I might be. I made my flight, no problem.

cyanidekid, you are going to some very beautiful country. While this may be to late, check for road closures before you leave the airport. Lucky for you its supposed to be (relatively) warm for a couple of days. I was about 60 miles east of there on Thursday. Unfortunately for them, little to no snow this year.

Yes, thanks everyone. As I said, I didn’t risk it and jammed the cables in the second checked bag, no problems, as usual.

It is nice weather so far, 12 this morning in Estes, but it warms up. Looks like some mild weather coming up, and only part of the work is outside.

If the wind holds off when I’m tigging outside, that’ll help :)

Back