What's new
What's new

sandblasting tips

Tcart

Plastic
Hi, I'm new here and looking for a solution to why are my ceramic sandblasting tips wearing out in less than a minute. It is a air pressure type sand blaster from Northern Hydralics rated for 60-110 # air pressure and 6-25 cfm. I tried it at 80 # and less. Using Black Beauty (recycled). Going to try new to see if that makes a difference. I have a vacuum type blaster as well with tips lasting for hours, thought the pressure type would be faster and more efficient.

The tips from Northern are soft. Get a regular blasting tip and make a holder for it from half a ground pipe union. It should give you many hours of blast time.

Thanks Norm, From what I have been able to find out so far, that is about the best option.

Don't know what type of gun came with your unit but upgraded my china gun to a USA model and WOW

Never would have thought such a low tech item would have that much difference, less air consumption and better pattern out of the gun at the same preasure. My original came from the same place as yours.

I have found 3 things make a big difference-
Dry air- use a moisture filter.
Good media- I like Starblast, which is a commercially available mineral media- kicks ordinary sand three ways to sunday- it lasts a long time, cuts really well, and doesnt break down to nasty dust anywhere near as much.
Carbide tips- I buy em from TP tools, they last a good long time, and are worth the extra money.

http://www.tptools.com/

I recall a note from a poster on another board that he ran some up from w-1 and then full hardened them when he couldnt get real ones in time for a job - they lasted just fine. certainly not like carbide but almost as good as ceramics. not good for a full running operation but in a pinch, whatever works.

Thanks for all the replies. I just tried a tip I jury-rigged from Napa and it works great. I will order one or two more for spare/back-up and keep on looking. My original tips are white and definitely can tell the diffence in the way it feels between them and the Napa one. I may get a USA gun as Coloradoboy suggested as mine has trouble with not shutting off the air completely when I let go of the trigger. I tried 10W40 but not to much avail yet.

Back