What's new
What's new

Need help with Oxy/Acetylene cutting problem

D2G2

Plastic
I seem to keep having the same problem from time to time cutting with Oxy/Acetylene, I'll be making a great cut, stop to re-position and then when I start up again I get large molten bubbles that pop, and the cut doesn't go all the way thru. At that point I usually start trying different thing like adjusting the pressures, clean the nozzel, you know, the standard stuff, usually nothing helps and I end up making a big mess. I guess the punch line is; I really don't know what I am doing, an anybody got any ideas, other than trying a new hobby.

Thanks, Glenn

sounds like you might be getting it to hot, depending on how large that pop is. i found i can stop this problem by slightly cutting perpendicular to the cut at the end, or wallowing out a bit of hole on the scrap side. this only works if you are discarding one side.

How long does it take you to stop and reposition?Sounds like the previous cutting track has cooled down and may need a little preheat before continuing the cut.Thinner metal requires less time to preheat and vise versa.I've always been a two hand cutter i.e. I never could control a torch and leave one hand free but I always try to hold the torch as close to the hose connections as possible and still have good movement.It seems to help(me at least)make longer cuts without having to reposition.You might also try leaning your torch into the cut a little.It helps to blow the slag clear of the cutting path a little better than holding it 90% to the metal being cut.

Freeman is right about leaning the torch a little. But when the automatic torch feed machines are set up, they position the torch dead vertical. At least that's what I've seen. The leaning helps in manual. Also, go as fast as the cut will permit, use a fence if practical, and size the tip to the work.

Thanks for the info guys, tried making another cut last night with better results. I should explain that I am trying to cut 6" disks out of 1" plate, I am after the disks and don't mind wasting a little bit of the plate. So, last night I cleaned the #2 tip, checked pressure settings, got better positioned, and started to cut. The first half circle cut just fine, then I repositioned and started the 2nd half, very quickly I started having the same old problem with bubbles, it looked molten metal was flowing back into the cut (even with the torch tilted forward), blowing into a large bubble and then popping with hot stuff flying everywhere. I finally gave up on the second cut, flipped the plate over and cut from the othe side (still with some bubbles). After things cooled down I looked at the cut both on the disk and the plate, what I saw was nice straight cut lines going all the way through on the first half, and a line that started straight and then curved back away from the direction of the cut on the second half. I compared the cuts with pictures in an old welding book and it said that the curved lines and mess at the bottom of the cut were caused by going to fast. I really thought I was cutting at the same rate for both halves of the circle, but, I guess not, the only difference I can think of is; on the first half I was able to rest my arms on the plate and cut from my right to my left, on the second half, the plate was to hot to steady rest and it was more of a freehand effort. So, what do you think, cutting speed and steady rest problems??

Thanks again, Glenn

Back