What's new
What's new

Chicago Dreis & Krump Press Brake Experts

bsg

Titanium
I'm looking for info on a press brake I have.

I bought a 1960's 90 ton eight foot brake, the brake weighs in at 11,500 pounds!
So in order for me to move the machine I took the ram off, I have an 8,000 pound Hyster.........this brings me to my question.
The wear plates and keepers are made of Micarta?
I would have thought these would have been something more durable, brass or bronze, is this normal for these brakes?

Micarta would not be my first choice in this application?

I called Chicago to order the manual and they were not much help on what material was originally used.

Anybody else ever take one of these press brakes apart, and what was the material used?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

Yup, Micarta, and I nicked a corner off it.....

However, I purchased it for scrap price, and may eventually bring it inside and add hydraulics to it.

You could start with Ampco-18 and work up from there, if you wanted to carve up some new guides and didn't
like the Micarta.

Attachments

• HPIM0714.jpg
    HPIM0714.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 384
I'll check my manual later today-- I too have a 90 ton D&K. Most of the time, brakes aren't off center loaded and therefore do not get the same kind of guides such as punch presses which do get a lot of un-balanced loads.

Dreiss Krump001.jpg
Taken from the Repair Parts Manual no. ARP-7006
Which covers A/B & C/L & M/R Series
Mine is a Model 68-L
They refer to them as Ram Liner-- I only see the .002-.005 gap in 1 drawing-- but they all should of had some gap for heat expansion etc.

Good luck.

Our oldest press brake is a Chicago D&K 500 ton hydraulic , years ago the Oil gear brand hydraulic control screwed up and raised one side of the ram beyond the safety limit switch , this damaged the bronze guide plates for the ram. Once we got the hydraulic problem resolved we found broken guide pieces after cycling the ram.
The parts manual shows the guide plates but does not describe there composition , we just fabricated replacement bronze guides in our shop and cross milled them for lubrication like the originals.
Kind of a bear to replace them but after it was all said and done it worked fine and still does.

I have a small Dreis Krump 131 36" brake and it has solid bronze guides. About 1-1/2" diameter, I will take some pictures when I go back to the shop tomorrow. I know it is only a 12 ton mechanical, but maybe it will help.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, sorry it took so long to get back to this.....to many irons in the fire at the moment!

Yup, Micarta, and I nicked a corner off it.....

However, I purchased it for scrap price, and may eventually bring it inside and add hydraulics to it.

You could start with Ampco-18 and work up from there, if you wanted to carve up some new guides and didn't
like the Micarta.

That's what I was thinking......by any chance do you have or know where I can get a clutch cover for one of these brakes beside Dreis & Krump, mine is all hacked up from the air clutch retrofit?

I have a small Dreis Krump 131 36" brake and it has solid bronze guides. About 1-1/2" diameter, I will take some pictures when I go back to the shop tomorrow. I know it is only a 12 ton mechanical, but maybe it will help.

Did you ever get a chance to take some pictures?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Back