What's new
What's new

Cleaning electronic cards (Everlast Power Tig 200DX welder)

alrayo

Plastic
Hi there fellows,

I recently bought a used Everlast Power Tig 200DX welder, the guy from I bought told that he only has used a couple of times, but I really doubt it since the beginning, thinking in electronics the real condition inside such machine, I decide to tear it down and see inside.
What a surprise, it was in pretty bad condition (I mean about cleanliness), as some leads are missing, and I have to wait for them, I am considering to clean all the circuit cards and internal components, but I would like to know if someone has made such process successfully and which could be the best procedure.
See pics showing actual condition:

Any advice would be welcome.IMG_6287.jpgIMG_6288.jpgIMG_6289.jpgIMG_6290.jpgIMG_6291.jpg

Thank you for any help,

Francisco

Where did he store it, under his boathouse?

I would start with a shop vac and a little round brush type vac nozzle. Have the unit plugged in to a ground when doing so, if the air is dry. The static may not do any damage, but why risk it.

Anything too far in to get at with a vac nozzle, use an air gun, probably best if you have a filter in the line to catch any oil or water. A couple sizes of cheap paint brushes to loosen stuff up would help too.

There are spray cans of electronics cleaner out there too. Expensive. Grab a couple cans for final clean up.

Cheers
Trev

Compressed air first. Wait for the parts. Power it up and see how it works.

Then the circuit board cleaner, but why.

I agree with RonS...that is not very dirty, most welders around
here get blown out, and they are allot worse, usually with a
black soot that can get etched in to copper and steel if not in
a heated building.

The dirt in the pictures look like it was sitting in a body shop,
bondo and paint dust.

Hi everybody, this is the welder after cleaned.

I did tear it down complete and cleaned component by component, electronic cards were washed up using 97% Isopropyl alcohol, immediately dried using a heated air and then detailed using cotton swabs.

alrayo's Library | Photobucket

Back