What's new
What's new

welding 24 guage stainless, welding settings

mattihorn

Plastic
Hi can anyone give me a run down as to what settings on a tig welder (I have the miller dynasty 200dx) will allow to get good welds with low warpage?

I am using about 6 amps main, low background of about 10% of main. 75% on peak level. pulsing at 440hz.

I have been experimenting above 6 amps and below 6 amps, will little results under 6 amps. changin the background and peak current levels in lieu of the main current.

There must be some sort of combination of those plus the initial slope current which will get a good bead going at low heat for this sheet metal.

any suggestions from resident pro-tig welders?

thanks
Matt

it is going to depend alot on joint configuration.
start with a .040 tungsten, clean and sharp.
assuming you have some type of remote amp control, exact settings on the panel are less important unless doing multiples.
best strategy for controlling warpage would probably start with joint design and/or fixturing. consider getting some sort of heat sink to fit tight behing the weld area, copper or aluminum work best.
have fun!
p

I weld thin stuff very often. I find it best not to use pulsing. I just adjust my amperage and keep the arc as smooth as possible. You have a very small puddle to control, and the more stable it is the better. Pulsing and all that other stuff only makes it harder and slower.

A proper joint fit up if the trick to reducing warpage. If you have any gaps it's going to get pulled by the weld and warp the whole piece. The further you keep going with it the worse it will get. Take the time to make a perfect fit. Put tacks at even spaces, not too far apart. Then link them together.

Back