What's new
What's new

torch adjustment

rimcanyon

Diamond
I learned to adjust a torch in a certain way that I am now rethinking, due to problems with welds.

A Henrob torch salesman taught me to adjust the flame using the regulator, rather than with the valves on the torch body. i.e. open the torch body valves wide and do all the adjusting of the flame with the regulators (with a maximum sized flame for the size of the tip).

I didn't buy the Henrob torch, but I started using that method on my Victor torch. I had a weld fail in 5 mins. the other day on a gate hinge, and have been thinking what could be the cause. Possibly inadequate mixing, so the flame was misadjusted even though the flame looked right?

Next time I get the torch out I will try setting the gas using the gauges, see if that makes a difference. In the mean time I'd be interested in hearing from the experts.

-Dave

I usually set acetylene to 5psi (set with the torch valve open to make sure the regulator is running consistently), and oxygen at 25psi, and then adjust the flame at the torch. Before your comment, I hadn't ever heard of someone doing it at the regulators. When you turn the torch off for a moment to move something, how do you set the flame again? Valves wide open after relighting?

If I want a smaller flame I just use the torch valves. Shut off same thing. Restart just open both valves about the same amount light and adjust. If the torch is adjusted and goes out of adjustment after a period of time, I readjust the regulators. However the pressure shown on the gauges is always much lower than you describe. under 5 PSI.

-Dave

With me it is low pressure on acetelyne, 5psi sounds about right, not sure useally by sound with valves wide open. Then gass NO ox valve open till no smoke then Ox till flame looks good. Too much heat, smaller tourch.

hi dave,

i have a henrob and have spent a bit of time using it, although i `m not an expert i`ve spent some time with the henrob salesman and have come to love it.

first, forget listening to advice on how a normal torch is set up, its not a normal torch, its made for lower pressures then the others and in fact is set lower that some guages. by setting the regulators this way, you will have a more accurate set up as longer or shorter hoses change pressure and guages aren`t always accurate.

the way jim taught me to set it up is;

1) to put the #3 tip on the torch

2) back off both regulators completely

3) open valves on torch all the way

5) turn the acetylene (spelling ??) regulator till you can just light the torch

6) open the oxygen lightly

7) adjust the torch to a neutral flame.

8) with a neutral flame ,using a wrench (the one that came with it has a 1/2 end) measure the inner cone. it should be 1/2-9/16 in long.

if its not 1/2 - 9/16 in long adjust the regulators till it is, still with the torch valves all the way open and a neutral flame.

9) you have now set the regulator pressure, mark the guages if you like.

10) pick the proper tip for welding (the #3 is only for setting the regulator) adjust your flame at the torch and away you go.

you don`t need to readjust the regulators when switching tip sizes all adjustments after setting regulator pressures are at the torch.

gary

dave,

I don't know anything about the henrob torch, or their clever salesmen. The info in victor's book is good, and what you should probably follow.

Set pressure at the gauge for the recommended pressure for the tip size being used. open torch valve wide, adjust for pressure drop on gauge. repeat with Oxygen. Victor has handy charts with recommended tip sizes and gas pressures for various applications. Again, forget the henrob guy, go with what victor publishes. They have successfully been manufacturing torches and teaching people how to use them for a looooong time, and they know what they are talking about regarding their equipment.

next, open the acetylene torch valve about 1/4 turn and light. increase acetylene on torch until the flame no longer smokes, and you have a nice roaring flame. Turn it up until the flame just about jumps off the tip. if you shake the torch and the flame jumps off the tip and stays off you have gone too high. Add oxygen to suit, in order to get a neutral or reducing flame as needed.

If you need a smaller flame size, you need to go to the next smaller tip. The reason for this is that the lower pressure and flow of gas when you turn down the flame does not cool the tip adequately, and can allow it to more easily overheat and cause backfiring/burnback into the torch.

If your weld failed, you may have used too small a tip, or had the gas set too low for that tip, and were not getting enough heat to penetrate adequately..

Hmmm, thought I covered all this pretty well we I responded to this question in a similar thread you started a week or so ago, rimcanyon. If you go back and follow my instructions, the torch element of error will be eliminated in your problems.

5psi and 25 is a pretty good setting for cutting, but way too high for welding or brazing tips, unless they are absolutely huge (and O2 at 25psi is still way too high). An experienced gas welder can make it work, but it'll give a learner fits trying to get the same results twice.

i`m not a clever salesman anchorman (i have no iron in thier fire ), but i can tell you this;

if you set the pressures for a henrob the way you set pressures for any other torch , it will not behave correctly, this is a torch that uses very low pressures for both welding and cutting.

anchorman; the victor settings will work great for almost every other torch on the market, not the henrob, and judging by your comments you haven`t spent any time using a henrob.

mike; i`m running 3-4 psi of acetylene and my oxygen gauge doesn`t go low enought to read for welding, for cutting the oxygen is turned up (had the oxygen at 10 the last time i cut 1/4 plate)

not responding to be argumentive but i use this torch once or twice a week, mostly for welding thin sheet steel and aluminum. i`ve never welded anything heavy with it yet as i also have a tig and mig.

gary

"I didn't buy the Henrob torch, but I started using that method on my Victor torch."

Read the original post. This is not a Henrob. I agree that you cannot set up a Henrob the same as a typical torch, but vice versa.

mike; i`m running 3-4 psi of acetylene and my oxygen gauge doesn`t go low enought to read for welding, for cutting the oxygen is turned up (had the oxygen at 10 the last time i cut 1/4 plate)

Not low enough to get a reading huh?
The Henrob salesman would probably tell you that you need to buy a set of Henrob regulators
. :D .........pg

wippin' boy, check out the thread titled "basics" for more on this failure. Not plating, just wrong torch technique from the sound of it.

daivdh, agree about the bed rails, but see above.

Back