What's new
What's new

Copper Sheet metal punch/die help

Maihyo

Plastic
Hey all, I have a job that requires some copper sheet metal contacts and I decided making a punch/die (not sure what the correct term is in this case) would be a lot easier than trying to fixture it on our 3 axis mill. Alas i do not have access to a waterjet or laser :(

I have it designed up but this is far from my realm of knowledge. I was hoping to grab some feedback on both design and best material to use for this. I was thinking of using a2 as I can more than likely get away with a crappy harden on it with what i have available. I have a feeling i will need to add a taper along the male side so the whole shape isnt trying to be sheared at once (hopefully that makes sense)

I'm hoping a mechanics vice will give enough clamping force but I also have access to a 20 ton press if that fails.

I have no idea what im doing here, I just tell mills and lathes to make chips for a living haha

I attached an image of the model :)Untitled-1.jpg

How will you get the parts out of the recesses?

I hope this is very low production because those look like a pain to use. I would definitely add some varied height to the male punches so it isn't shearing all at once.

Back