What's new
What's new

Copper slats for CNC laser table?

thesidetalker

Stainless
Mitsubishi recommended we buy their copper table slats when we purchased our new fiber lasers 2 years ago. We've always just used CRS on these and our old CO2 laser.

It's time to cut some new slats for one of the machines, so I'm wondering now if it's actually worth it to try copper? I figure it would probably cost around $5k worth of material (plus time to cut them) to do both pallets for this machine. Obviously high upfront costs, but when they're worn out, at least we should be able to recycle them for a decent amount, vs the steel slats which scrap value is zilch.

Anyone here using copper? Wondering how it works out, how durable are they? We cut a good range of material thicknesses. Probably half of what we process is in the range of 3-6mm steel and a decent amount of 8, 10, 12 & 20mm plate. I'm wondering how well the softer slats would last with operators loading heavy plates, unloading (heavy) parts, banging stuff around on the table, etc, etc.

Price how oftern you can afford to replace them in mild steel, equally realise you won't get high value for the scrap copper ones do to the contamination on them.

Mitsubishi recommended we buy their copper table slats when we purchased our new fiber lasers 2 years ago. We've always just used CRS on these and our old CO2 laser.

It's time to cut some new slats for one of the machines, so I'm wondering now if it's actually worth it to try copper? I figure it would probably cost around $5k worth of material (plus time to cut them) to do both pallets for this machine. Obviously high upfront costs, but when they're worn out, at least we should be able to recycle them for a decent amount, vs the steel slats which scrap value is zilch.

Anyone here using copper? Wondering how it works out, how durable are they? We cut a good range of material thicknesses. Probably half of what we process is in the range of 3-6mm steel and a decent amount of 8, 10, 12 & 20mm plate. I'm wondering how well the softer slats would last with operators loading heavy plates, unloading (heavy) parts, banging stuff around on the table, etc, etc.

In my honest opinion this is one of the best investments you can make on any Laser with a Transfer Table. Within 24 hours of getting a new Laser online we switch the tables out to Copper Slats. We save the Steel Slats so when we sell or trade it in we can repopulate the Table with the originals and they are clean or like new condition.

The slugs are less likely to build up causing issues with loading and unloading not to mention a "snap" where the sheet drops and knocks the head. Cleaning the table is reduced to about an hour per pair using a Slat Cleaner.

We get about 2 years out of a set of Copper Slats running 24-7 Lights out. How many times are you changing Steel Slats in 2 years and how long does it take you? And how much steel are you using? pretty easy to justify.

We punch the Copper Slats on our Turrets maximizing the yield. I will not ever cut Copper on our Lasers. I know they say you can but the guys here tried it without telling me back in December and smoked the Fiber Cable with a beam bounce back using factory cutting conditions. Thankfully the Machine Manufacturer stood behind the product and took care of the repair and air freight. When my guys presented their case of why they decided to go against my direction I explained it to them like this. You can cut Copper on a Laser just like you can drive home blindfolded. There are just consequences.

Recapturing the Copper Cost...take it to the Scrap Yard yourself. You will have to negotiate to get the best price. I get the second best price every time or I leave with the Pallet. They want it.

Weight the pallet and write the weight on the side. Clean the slats prior to removing them from the Table. Spend a little extra time so they don't have the opportunity to lump your Copper in with Insulated Wire pricing. Weigh the Pallet before you let them weigh it. This all shows you are paying attention. And don't settle for a low ball offer. Go in knowing what you want for it and leave if they are too far apart on their offer from your expectation. Go back another day and their mood changes.

We get about 50% of the original value back from the scrapped Slats.

Walter makes a ceramic spray for slats, not sure if it for laser slats as well or just plasma. Could be worth a try.

Back