What's new
What's new

Antique Lincoln Motor Welder

jonfritch

Aluminum
I purchased a portable Lincoln welder on E-bay mostly because it was powered by a Ford flathead. Maybe from the 1040's. I haven't picked it up yet, but does anybody know if these older welders also made 120/240 volts A.C.? If so, maybe I can use the welder the next time the lights go out during a monsoon storm here in dry heat Arizona.

When you get the welder you can then find the code number (not serial) and look it up on the Lincoln web site. These did not have AC until recently. Unless it is a huge welder it probably is powered by a Willys or Continental engine.
If it's a SA200 the guys out west still prefer them to new machines for welding pipe.

I used to own a Lincoln SA200 - dated from the 1960's. The engine was a Continental Red Seal and as stated - basically the same thing that an old Willys jeep had. It had a single 115 plug to run a light, drill motor, etc., but was only rated at 15 amps and DC only.

They are very good welders but no better or worse than some of the newer ones.

I would be surprised if a Lincoln portable ever came out of the factory with a Ford flathead, even if it was a Model A 4 cylinder flathead. I have only seen then with a Continental, or newer ones with diesels.

Dale Nelson

Back