What's new
What's new

CR Electronics 350 Ton Press Brake Problem

Scott Rossignol

Plastic
I'm hoping someone out there can help us out!

Our CR Electronics 350-ton Press Brake ~ Model #: G-320-41 w/Delem controller has been down for a few weeks now with an electrical problem ~ motor won't fire up. We can't seem to find anyone to service this machine since CR Electronics has folded and disappeared a year or so ago.

This machine plays an important part of our fabrication business and we're limping along with our smaller 160-ton press brake (not a CR
Electronics).

To make matters worse, we don't even have a wiring diagram for it. They were going to translate one from Italian for us, but never did.

The unit is only 4 years old and this is the first major problem we have had with it.

Does anyone out there know of any technician that could help us (paid, of course). Or, does anyone have a copy of a wiring diagram for this
model or any simular CR Press brake that we could use.

We are located in central Conencticut, if that helps any.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Rossignol
DYCO Industries, Inc.
229 South Satellite RD
South Windsor, CT 06074
PH: 860.289.4957
Fax: 860.528.2245

Scott,

If you cannot find a solution and need to "upgrade", let me know. I have driven farther for heavier things! On a more serious note, is this a PLC controlled machine, or simple relays and contactors? When we have these types of problems it is usually something that a skilled electrician (sometimes hard to find) can troubleshoot through. I hope you have access to such an individual in your area. One of my guys is a genuis with that sort of issue, and I could send him up there if you are truly devoid of a good troubleshooter. Best wishes.

Christopher
CRM Fabrication & Repair, Inc.

Who actually manufactured this machine?
Was CR electronics just the US importer?
Because if so, and it was made by an Italian company, chances are you can email the italians, and get the wiring diagram.
I have an Italian machine, not the same as yours, and while I am lucky enough to have a good US importer, I have visited the factory in Italy, and there were several english speakers there- this is common in Italy.
So if you can find the actual manufacturer, you should be able to track down the manuals.
But it does sound like a problem that a good industrial electrician could figure out.
These guys sell press brakes with Delem controls- so they might know more about specific control issues-
http://www.smfmachinetools.com/cncpressbrakes.htm
They might even know a Delem repairman.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to all of you who took time to offer help (I was on vacation).

Anyways, we have solved our problem. Would you believe that it was all from loose screws througout the main control/electrical panel on the unit. First a contactor blew (screw fell & grounded somewhere). We had to import new a new contactor (not available in the US). Put that in and was only getting partial power (one leg) to the transformer. Transformer has screws missing (fell off) and wiring was loose. Slight mishap with a screwdriver and blew another contactor (import, again). Got everything nice and tight and Voila, works like a charm.

OmniBend 5000, Chistopher, & Reis:
Thank you all for your assitance!

We did have (2) Electricians come in to troubleshoot the problem. The first one threw up his arms after 3 hrs and said " I Dunno. I'm leaving". The next guy pretty much did the same. Needless to say we were not impressed with them. We were going to fly someone in from Germany who has experience with this brand of equipment ($7000 for a week inc. travel). My boss's son decided to take a look at it before we book the flight and discovered all the loose screws/wiring.

As for the Press Break itself, CR Electronics was the mfg. The units was made in Italy. They are now out of business and we don't have any manuals (except for the Delem controller). There is no one to call for anything concerning this machine. There is one other machine like this in the US (slighty larger) and the users in the same boat as we are (they have actually had the German guy flown in twice). We even contacted the former salesman in the US (we knew where he had gone to after CR folded) and he was of no help! So, we are going to pool our resources and try to help each other out with whatever info we have on this p.o.s. press brake.

Thanks again for all the help.

Scott

As Christopher pointed out, good troubleshooters Are hard to find!

Anyway Scott, I'm sure downtime on this machine is costly, so here's my 2 cents. I see Delem is still in business so getting info on the controller should be easy. Find a good electrical engineer (one who has actually wired a panel in his life) and hire him to make you a electrical diagram. (reverse engineer your panel) If the panel is in good shape inside and the original wire tags are in good condition, he should be able to create a fairly accurate wiring diagram for a reasonable cost. Look to local automation integrators for help. These guys are usually adept with working with existing automation panels and can figure them out. Next step would be to scrap the existing panel and retrofit a new control. It won't cost as much as you think, and will give you a trouble free machine.

Back