What's new
What's new

Cut star shape in sheet aluminum

Jfc12

Plastic
So I'm new to all this, forgive me if I sound uneducated on some things. Basically I'm trying to make American flags out of sheet aluminum (5052- 0.04"). The biggest problem I have is trying to cut out the 50 stars for the flag. The stars are pretty small, they have a diameter of 1.17" around the points. The only successful solution to this problem has been using my Dremel 3000 with a 1-1/4" cut off wheel. However this is quite a lengthy process.

Was just wondering if anyone could shed some wisdom of maybe an easier and more importantly, a quicker way to accomplish this?

Some things I already tried doing:
-made custom router duplicator (basically my attempt at a sort of "manual CNC" machine). And then use a template of the stars to trace and hopefully get decent stars (haven't bought the router for it yet because still debating whether it is even possible to cut thru this aluminum with a 1/16" bit)
-used my Dremel as a router with over 10 different types of 1/16" router bits, no luck
(using 1/16" bits because the stars are so small I still want some sort of point rather than a 1/8" which would leave really rounded).

Thinking maybe some sort of custom punch or a custom hydraulic press with star shapes on them? Feel like there has to be an easy way to do this because of it being aluminum and it being so thin (0.04").

Note: CNC and laser cutting are not an option for me due to price (full time engineering student on a students budget).

I appreciate any help and guidance anyone can provide!

Could wire EDM a star die and make the star punch on a surface grinder. Double die so one might Guide the punch.
Perhaps someone here would know the price.

engineering student? any axcess to wire EDM there.

Look up 'pancake die' You could probably do something similar using the idea as a starting point.

Option 2: Drill 3/8" hole through where each star should be.

Make punch and die by 'hand' or the best method you can out of thick steel ( 1/4"?) they also need to have a hole in them. Bolt through and keep tightening until it's cut. Mild steel would do 50 stars, no prob.

It would basically work like a knockout punch (look up greenlee knockout punch).

buy this, use a small press (you cant afford to buy a press for less than laser cutting would cost- you will have to find one you can use that belongs to somebody else)
Pancake Die 768 Large Rounded Star

All the other ways to do this take tools AND skills.
You could, for example, buy a decent jewelers saw from one of the two guys who make them who post here- Kevin Potter or Lee at Know- Knew Concepts - Fine Metalsmithing Equipment Designed for Artisans - The Red Saw - Santa Cruz, CA
but either saw, plus blades, costs more than laser cutting does.

Make a hand held punch and have at it with a 5lb hammer and some guides clamped to the work piece? Big print out of the star pattern glued to the work and a real sharp chisel that's as long as the straight legs on the star?

Could robaly laser the whole thing for sub $20 going to cost you more in tooling any other way.

Note: CNC and laser cutting are not an option for me due to price (full time engineering student on a students budget).

Consider this:

I want to go on a cross country trip (about 2000km or so) but when I started out hiking down the road yesterday I became tired after only 10km. It was taking a long time and my legs and back were aching by the time I finally returned home in poor spirits. I can't afford a car, or the insurance, or the fuel, so that's not an option. Also bus and train tickets are way more expensive than I realized. I don't have any friends or relatives that are willing to drive me either. What is my best option?

The point, if you missed it, being that you're limiting your options and not putting enough (any) value on time. What do you figure your "hourly rate" will be as an engineer after graduating? Maybe you should start early with that mindset.

You've eliminated your best, most cost effective option for a small quantity right off the bat; laser cutting, or maybe waterjet. Everything else is either going to be more expensive or require more time and manual skill.

Could wire EDM a star die and make the star punch on a surface grinder. Double die so one might Guide the punch.
Perhaps someone here would know the price.

engineering student? any axcess to wire EDM there.

Thank you! I'll look into this option

Look up 'pancake die' You could probably do something similar using the idea as a starting point.

Option 2: Drill 3/8" hole through where each star should be.

Make punch and die by 'hand' or the best method you can out of thick steel ( 1/4"?) they also need to have a hole in them. Bolt through and keep tightening until it's cut. Mild steel would do 50 stars, no prob.

It would basically work like a knockout punch (look up greenlee knockout punch).

Thank you for your response! Didn't even know about pancake dies so that helps a lot!

buy this, use a small press (you cant afford to buy a press for less than laser cutting would cost- you will have to find one you can use that belongs to somebody else)
Pancake Die 768 Large Rounded Star

All the other ways to do this take tools AND skills.
You could, for example, buy a decent jewelers saw from one of the two guys who make them who post here- Kevin Potter or Lee at Know- Knew Concepts - Fine Metalsmithing Equipment Designed for Artisans - The Red Saw - Santa Cruz, CA
but either saw, plus blades, costs more than laser cutting does.

Thank you for directing me to that website! They have a lot of helpful tools!

He is trying to tell you that you can have your stars cut by somebody who already spend a quarter million on a laser cutter.
When you decide to travel, you dont rule out air travel because you cant afford your own 777.
Some tools cost too much to justify unless you are running them 24/7 for high value work.

hence, the invention of subcontractors.
dont try to re-invent the wheel.

how many more do you want to make? Are you giving them away as presents to family and friends? Or plan to sell as many as can be sold? If selling what is your retail price objective overall? Take 50% of that retail price and that should be your MAX overall fabricating cost. What part of that can you attribute to the cutting of the stars?

Simple top and bottom star die would best be 5/8 or thicker for the bottom(die) and 1/2 or better for the top.. doweled together with two dowels and a couple bolts...But the distance from the edge may lead to a problem.
Hoe far from the edge do you need a star? yes a hammer smack die set would do fine.

When you decide to travel, you dont rule out air travel because you cant afford your own 777.

Hmmm, yes, I guess I did forget to exclude air travel as well. I was thinking of a trip where you'd see things along the way, rather than a destination only.

The point still remains the same though, and I hope it wasn't lost on the OP.

Alignment on a punch & die like that, that many times, over that much area, is going to be a big problem.

Do they have to go through?

Have you considered etching them?

A small router and making a follow template might be good for a one up or a few-up but would be time consuming for a long run.. !/8 bits cut slow and break easy.

QT: [The stars are pretty small, they have a diameter of 1.17" around the points.]That is not small

So a punch and die you need about 10" punch to end of die set. that is a lot of over hang supporting from only one end..

A bench iron worker might be the ticket. likely about $1500 and the price of making the punch and die.. Guessing perhaps $200 each.

Yes a real iron worker perhaps $6,000 on a good day.

So I'm new to all this, forgive me if I sound uneducated on some things. Basically I'm trying to make American flags out of sheet aluminum (5052- 0.04"). The biggest problem I have is trying to cut out the 50 stars for the flag. The stars are pretty small, they have a diameter of 1.17" around the points. The only successful solution to this problem has been using my Dremel 3000 with a 1-1/4" cut off wheel. However this is quite a lengthy process.

Was just wondering if anyone could shed some wisdom of maybe an easier and more importantly, a quicker way to accomplish this?

Some things I already tried doing:
-made custom router duplicator (basically my attempt at a sort of "manual CNC" machine). And then use a template of the stars to trace and hopefully get decent stars (haven't bought the router for it yet because still debating whether it is even possible to cut thru this aluminum with a 1/16" bit)
-used my Dremel as a router with over 10 different types of 1/16" router bits, no luck
(using 1/16" bits because the stars are so small I still want some sort of point rather than a 1/8" which would leave really rounded).

Thinking maybe some sort of custom punch or a custom hydraulic press with star shapes on them? Feel like there has to be an easy way to do this because of it being aluminum and it being so thin (0.04").

I appreciate any help and guidance anyone can provide!

You could cut out the stars with a utility knife. If you have the hand skilz. But you are a full time engineering student. Why are you asking us? Has your education educated you beyond your intelligence? Think hard about how it could be done. Thinking hard may hurt at first. It will get better and make you smarter.

Back