What's new
What's new

Cut tubing or pipe lengthwise

chancey47

Plastic
I am posting this method that worked for me to split some schedule 40 pipe lengthwise. I hope this is in the appropriate forum, if not please put it where it belongs. There is a post, somewhere in the forum, that asks advice on splitting aluminum tubing lengthwise. There were a lot of suggestions, but not many that garnered much enthusiasm. I faced the same problem: I needed to split 24" of 1" schedule 40 pipe. What worked for me: I tack welded a piece of 14 ga square tubing to the side of the pipe. The tubing was slightly smaller than the pipe, but I shimmed it so that it was tacked in the center. Then by measuring the pipe, the tubing and the thickness of the saw blade (1/16") I was able to clamp a fence to the square tubing and cut the pipe, in the center, using an 18V battery powered metal cutting circular saw. Flip the work over reset the fence, and cut the second side in like fashion. My saw is a Bosch, but there are many others on the market (amazing how much I use this saw.) The saw uses a 5 3/8" carbide tipped blade. I was off by 0.025" from center, which was fine for my purposes. I think, with a little practice, this could be done with pretty good accuracy. To avoid binding and slipping, I started the split with a pocket cut, leaving about 1/4" of the sidewall intact at each end of the saw cut. When finished, I simply cut the four 1/4" tabs with an angle grinder and 1/16" cutoff wheel. For my fence, I used a piece of hot rolled 1" X 1" X 3/16" angle. If more accuracy is desired, one could machine the fence side of the angle flat. I used a dial caliper to set my fence, just scribed a line on the square tubing. Hope this helps somebody out. Thanks for all the good info that gets posted here. I am just a garage hobbyist and find a lot of useful information on this forum. Best wishes to all.

Back