What's new
What's new

Diamond wheel for carbide and tungsten?

SirRage

Aluminum
You don't mix the wheel you use for sharpening tungsten with wheels you use for other materials. That said, does that still apply if you are using diamond impregnated steel wheels? I'm setting up diamond wheels for carbide grinding and wondering if I can use the same setup for my tungsten electrodes as well.

I do not do this and would not do it with any plated wheels......period
Not sure what you mean by "diamond impregnated steel wheels".
Metal bond which has a thick layer that can be dressed out or single layer plated product?
I could see using diamond if you are doing micro welding but for general purpose just a regular, maybe fine stone/grinder at the welding bench.
One has to clean these tips often and it should be in arms reach and cheap and fast to use.
Bob

Was looking at using one of these.

8725a61p1-a05cl_634727736030000000.png
McMaster 8725A81
The perforated honeycomb pattern cuts carbide, ceramics, and glass without the need for cleaning.

Wheels are made of diamond-coated steel molded onto plastic, so they can be used wet or dry. Diamond is extremely hard and wear resistant.

You don't mix the wheel you use for sharpening tungsten with wheels you use for other materials.

IMHO if its not for coded work or really low current stuff it not the issue everyone make's out. Low current or the best quality welds different story, but run of the mill welding, IMHO i can't detect a difference in tungsten life. Tungsten's are pretty hard, your not going to mash shit of a wheel into the tungsten grinding it on a wheel thats in normal condition, yeah maybe if its totally loaded up with crap, but a half decent wheel is not going to make the difference all the premadonnas like to think it will.

Tungsten is the mother of carbide. Sintered tungsten should be ground like carbide with a wet diamond wheel..perhaps a type 1 (grinding on the OD of the wheel or a plate mounted wheel like used on a carbide grinder called type 35.
Green wheel also can be used.

I would choose a normal diamond wheel not a steel plate coated with diamonds.
Yes best to have a solid set up perhaps a carbide grinder or a surface grinder.
Wet is best with any diamond wheel grinding.

I use 6" flat diamond disk to sharpen my tungsten electrodes, carbide scrapers and other occasional carbide tools. 5 usd 240 grit disk seem to last quite a long time and I'm total noob in welding who dips and sharpens electrodes all the time.
Works well enough unless you have to make nuclear power plant welds. :rolleyes5:
(btw Cobalt as in tungsten carbide binder would be a big no-no contaminate in nuclear power plant)

Back