What's new
What's new

used Ranger 8...good deal?

jim davies

Aluminum
I have found a used Ranger 8* with an Onan engine and about 800 hours on it, in good shape so they say. The seller is asking $1000 OBO. Is this a good deal? Any common problems with these units?

[* it's actually a Canox branded unit, sold by BOC gGs in Canada, but looks like a Lincoln Ranger]

Wonder what the expected life of that machine is? 800 hrs seems like alot, I dunno. Has it been serviced regularly, stored inside or out? You could check compression. Check the oil and air filter. How does it weld? Just hard to guess that machines value standing in front of it much less over the internet.

I've got a Ranger 250...bought it new. I think it has about 120 hours on it...remember...the hour meter ticks even when you're not welding. So, that machine doesn't have 800 hours of actual welding time.

I'd check the compression plus weld with it...try all the adjustments, etc. before buying.

800 hours is nothing for an Onan or Kohler. Sounds like a good deal. Simple machine. Not much to go wrong.

You will want to check valve clearances though if it has not been done. Maybe new plugs ans wires.

macona,

I think you work for a welding supply, right?

Just wondering...have you heard anything about some of the late-model Onan's having quality issues?

A salesman talked me out of a new welder with an Onan...I bought a Ranger 250 with the Kohler.

Maybe it's BS...but I didn't want to chance it.

I havnt heard of any issues. I like the Kohler though since it is a V-twin. Tucks away in the cabinet real nice on the new trailblazers.

I have an older Miller 200 with the Onan engine(16HP)and 5kva generator.After rebuilding the motor,it was froze up,it has more than 800 hrs. on it including two solid weeks on the generator through two hurricanes.The only problem I've had is the points and condenser don't seem to last very long and when one or the other goes bad all it wants to do is sputter and backfire.Still I'd rather have it than one of the newer ones.

I have certainly heard about grievous issues with late model Onan engines. They fail quickly and then parts are priced astronomically. The guys I know say old Onans are OK but avoid the new ones.

GWE

GWE,

I heard about the same thing as you said...that the older Onan's were better. My Lincoln Ranger 250, with V-Twin Kohler, is still relatively new but has been great so far.

I absolutely agree that the prices for Onan parts is astronomical compared to the same displacement in a different brand engine.The older ones IMHO were more reliable than the newer but the price of parts for the older ones is just as high as the newer.Right now I'm trying to piece together a CCKA to go on another old Miller welder/gen set and Onan prices are slowing me down.So far my best buys have been from eHay.

Back