What's new
What's new

Epilog Fusion M2 32" Fiber Laser - anybody have one?

What are your projects? Makes a huge difference what you want done. CO2 laser making business cards on scraps of junk or real work cutting and etching. As in etching last, need for cutting first.

We have 2 very different needs (followed your link). I have a 1KW fiber laser due in to me week after next, 5X10 table. So I know nothing about Epilog and not even sure they were at FABTEC last November. I sorta blocked out the engraving lasers, including the ones that could process very light gauge sheet metal. For what I did look at the software was mostly raster based.

You want to engrave first cut last, other wise the part will move on yah!

We have a Fibermark 24. Have had it longer than I've been at this company. I believe it's ~4-5 years old.

Support is nearly non-existent if you have any technical issues.

Really? Can you elaborate? Because that would be an issue for me.

The way a computer talks to it is basically through a type of 'printer' driver. Windows literally thinks it's a printer. It's not far from the truth, though, so it's not crazy to think of it like that. So you have to have a driver installed. At one time, it was running on a Windows XP machine. When XP was no longer supported/updated, we upgraded all computers to Windows 7. The driver no longer worked. They did not have a Windows 7 driver available on their website. We couldn't get it to work even using some of the built in 'compatibility mode' tools. Our IT was stumped for quite a while. We could not get anyone at Epilog to call us back, talk to us at all, nor answer emails or anything. Our IT guy finally figured out some sort of hack to get the XP driver to work. We limped along with that for a while though performance certainly suffered (large file sizes would often time out and fail. So we could use 'color mapping' much less frequently, or for smaller parts or fewer parts)

We had to limp for quite a long time before they released a driver that worked for Windows, and they never bothered to tell us about it. One day our new IT guy decided to call them up and see if he could tackle it, and their tech sent him their driver as they were getting ready to put it on the website.

It was several YEARS that Windows 7 had been out and in common usage before they had a driver for it... and it was well after XP support was discontinued by Microsoft. I found that simply ludicrous.

Otherwise it "just works" - don't worry about the machine itself. Clean the lens now and then. I use denatured alcohol and cotton swabs, following up with alcohol-dosed non-linting cloths. I do it like.. once a year. Depends on your environment. We cut a shit load of cardboard stencils for painting crates and sometimes dies and large tooling. The fumes/soot from that probably makes it worse for us.

We did have to replace a board in there once. It was basically a "it's broke and we have no idea how/what/why" and we couldn't get in touch with Epilog to troubleshoot it. Our maintenance guy COULD, however, get parts, so we just solved it with the heavy handed approach. It worked. AFAIK that's the only maintenance we've done. The only other thing we've done is the occasionally belt tightening.

The table will never stay perfectly square to the laser movement, and it'll move over time. There's a bar screwed to the table along the X-axis. I have a second bar sitting loose in front of that. One end has a .094 drill between it to 'shim' the bar out at an angle. Every few days we'll check the laser (by scanning the red dot along the edge of the adjustable bar) I'll slide the drill left/right as needed to finely adjust the angle until the red dot tracks perfectly-enough along the edge.

That basically sums up any problems or 'issues' we have. There's nothing hard to work around, and it's good enough for what we use it for. I only have to use that 'adjustable bar' to fix alignment because sometimes .010" makes the difference between good gold-plated parts .. and parts that now need to have the etching sanded off, and re-plated.

Last edited:
You want to engrave first cut last, other wise the part will move on yah!

My needs are cutting first and engraving second. I made my decision on cutting capability. Etching is secondary to what I need. Most engraving lasers are raster based drivers sim to a printer driver. Cutting laser software is vector based.
In operation I etch first if needed.

My needs are cutting first and engraving second. I made my decision on cutting capability. Etching is secondary to what I need. Most engraving lasers are raster based drivers sim to a printer driver. Cutting laser software is vector based.
In operation I etch first if needed.

I will say that Epilog handles it both ways but it's still basically a printer driver. You can program vector and raster laser movements in the same setup, with different settings. You can even dictate different power/speed settings 'by color' if you want different shades or darkness, or if you have different coatings, or masked areas being etched on an otherwise painted part. I use the vector laser settings for cutting out stencils for painting.

I wouldn't say "run away" from Epilog. For the price range they are in, I just think it's about the best to expect. If you want an all around hands-off, perfect OOTB, "plug and play" system, you gotta spend more.

Just visited their web site. They may have been at FABTECH but their emphasis on engraving steered me away. Pics of my machine soon, still getting used to it. Currently cutting 14 g stainless and edges are weld ready.

Back