What's new
What's new

Respirator with Shade 5 Lens?

Strostkovy

Titanium
I'm not totally sure if I'm in the right subforum for this, but I didn't see anything PPE related elsewhere so figured since I'm using it for running a plasma I would put it here.

My current getup for running our plasma machine (water table, but we definitely need a fume extractor setup, which unfortunately isn't a priority) is to wear a regular respirator with a P100 filter, shade 5 glasses, and sometimes over ear hearing protection. The issue is that with the respirator the glasses don't sit comfortably, and the glasses don't fit comfortably under the hearing protection (I prefer over ear hearing protection because I can take it off to talk to people, as there is no way to hear someone speaking through a respirator with my ears plugged).

Google having failed me, does anyone know of any respirators that incorporate eye protection with a flip up shade 5 lens? I transition from cutting to grinding to programming so much that putting shade 5 inserts in a typical respirator would be worse than what I have now.

3m pelter ear muffs with the neck band rather than over the head work well for me, they seam fine too with all the glasses i have tried. Never had much luck with glasses and respirator combinations, but them im kinda anal about respirators and won't use anything less than 3m with P3 filters, though as a asthmatic trust me preserve all the lung function you can at all costs, being deaf or blind is a minor inconvenience compared to not being able to breath!

Best 3 piece combo i find is the 7000 series 3m mask that vents straight down, the peltor ear muffs that have the band around the neck and then a nice face shield.

That said, a table realy should have fume extraction it would be in convention of our health and safety over here not haveing it, personally worn protection is kinda considered the last option, fume collection at source is the big ONE!!

I use a shade 5 full face shield, has a standard welding helmet headgear,
and can flip up for programming.

It was about $20, cheap enough to try trimming the lower half to fit around the respirator.

Also, you would be surprised what a $20 box fan can do, even set on low.

If your employer is knowledgeable about OSHA and respirators, then they would meet the rules of OSHA.

1910.134(a)(1)
In the control of those occupational diseases caused by breathing air contaminated with harmful dusts, fogs, fumes, mists, gases, smokes, sprays, or vapors, the primary objective shall be to prevent atmospheric contamination. This shall be accomplished as far as feasible by accepted engineering control measures (for example, enclosure or confinement of the operation, general and local ventilation, and substitution of less toxic materials). When effective engineering controls are not feasible, or while they are being instituted, appropriate respirators shall be used pursuant to this section.

And wait until the employer finds out what they are legally responsible for. Have you had a medical screening yet to establish your health baseline?

I wonder if there is a shade lens available for the 3m Versaflo line. I know you can get earmuffs to fit on it. I like the looks of it but its kinda pricey for me. Instead I'm working on an electronic air filter I got at an auction to hang over my plasma table and picked up a UV Bionic face shield and dark lens for it.

I use a shade 5 full face shield, has a standard welding helmet headgear,
and can flip up for programming.
It was about $20, cheap enough to try trimming the lower half to fit around the respirator.

lots of the better ones have enough room inside for a respirator if you pick the correct one and filter combinations

I suppose I should explain the shop situation a bit as well since it plays into this a lot.

Fume extraction is a big priority, considering it fills the entire shop and makes it unusable for anyone without a respirator. However, the building the plasma sits in isn't even finished. We run heavy extension cords from the old shop we outgrew over to the new building, since electrical, air lines, insulation, certain walls, etc. are not yet finished. And do to the location of the plasma there isn't really anywhere for a fan to blow other than back into the shop, though I do have a small fume extractor set up to blow through a duct outside.

The biggest issue is that we have very little starting principle, so we have keep up production in order to pay for machinery like the plasma, forklifts, deburring machine, press brake, etc.

So basically the air quality in the shop will be fairly poor for about 6 months or so until we get around to it. I'm the only person in the shop while running the plasma (considering I have to turn off the lights to cut at high amperage to not trip the old shop's breaker) so wearing a suitable respirator, though not ideal, is pretty much the only option.

The face shield option is an interesting idea, but honestly the welding headgear isn't any more comfortable than the glasses sitting a little funny on the respirator.

It seems odd to me that there are no respirators with flip up shades or detachable goggles, but I guess in any big outfit it's going to be all PPE all of the time, so there isn't much of a market for it.

There's a new company that makes a new, fairly compact PAPR, not sure how comfy it is long term, might be more comfortable than the current welding helmets with PAPR system. It seems to sit on the back of the neck and doesn't have a strap going over the head, which might help with glasses interference issue.

Company is clean space technology.

Back