What's new
What's new

Euro press brake tooling offset

rbmgf7

Aluminum
Looking at the punch from the side, does anyone know the offset distance from the tang's centerline to the centerline of the punch's tip?

I want to cute some punches myself but I picked up a machine without any punches. Can't find anything online.

I'm not getting crazy, just need to make some radius punches for some narrow forming.

Looking at the punch from the side, does anyone know the offset distance from the tang's centerline to the centerline of the punch's tip?

I want to cute some punches myself but I picked up a machine without any punches. Can't find anything online.

I'm not getting crazy, just need to make some radius punches for some narrow forming.

From the back side of the tang to center of punch tip is 7mm. From center of tang to center of the punch Tip is .531”.

Last edited:
7mm is not .531" so do not understand that. Euro punches have the center line dead center of the tang so they can be inserted facing either way. Many times I need to put a swan neck in facing "backwards". to gain clearance.

7mm is not .531" so do not understand that. Euro punches have the center line dead center of the tang so they can be inserted facing either way. Many times I need to put a swan neck in facing "backwards". to gain clearance.

euro tool.jpg

I don't know press brakes all that well but the tip of that punch does not align with the centerline of the tang. That image is straight out of the Amada tool catalog.

Thanks Spinks.

Yeah the force does not go through the tang, it goes through the shoulder at the back of the tang, the tang just holds it in - aligns it front - back. Normally the holders are such the clamps can go on either side, hence the center line remains constant but you can have the swan kneck - tool face either way on a given set-up by just moving the clamp from one face to the other. Its a pretty usefull feature, but its far more complex than the way a lot of the other top tools just fit into a slot thats centred and can be reversed with less effort!

View attachment 223269

I don't know press brakes all that well but the tip of that punch does not align with the centerline of the tang. That image is straight out of the Amada tool catalog.

Thanks Spinks.

My bad. And don't like the idea of a single shoulder load but the punch cl you have in the pic appears to go through the shoulder cl. I have tang loaded punches and shoulder loaded punches, and both can be turned around and line up with others. Makes it easier to calculate and a lot lees chance of a screw up and grenading tools.
I often need to form a deep channel with the goose neck punch. The length of the 2 legs of the channel is very important that they be equal, much more important than channel width. The computer will pick the most efficient sequence to form so the back gauge will make bend 1 from the stock edge, bend 2 from the edge of bend 1. No need to flip the part. This runs into a problem if bend 1 does not make a full 90 and the corner is now away from the back gauge, touching higher up on the flange.
So I put the punch in backwards and now I get a collision warning about 2nd bend hitting the punch, so I tell computer that the punch is in "backwards" and to recalculate. No more collision. Back gauge goes into position and never moves as I now need to flip the part. Yeah, 3 seconds added to the part.

Instead of starting a new thread, I figure I can piggyback on this one.

I finally just picked up a small Amada sectionlized punch set and used 4 way die.

Are there any sources out there that sell small odds and end Euro press brake tooling? I'd like a couple more specific tools but don't want a whole length or set. Maybe just a couple inches of a specific punch.

Thanks.

There are sellers on ebay that sell short pieces. Some are priced fair and some priced over the top. Watch the shipping cost while the dies might be reasonable some of the snake sellers will gouge you on shipping.

Back