What's new
What's new

Eutectic Magna Tran 301 stick tig welder

ramsay1

Titanium
Hello everyone: I recently acquired an old Eutectic Magna Tran 301 welder in a swap deal .. The unit is mil surp from 1970....The man I got if from said it just stopped welding for some reason...Just wonder if anyone has any experience with this older machine...

Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 458
  • welder.jpg
    welder.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 907
Last edited:
It's old enough to not have any electronics in it, should not be that hard to sort out. If nothing else put it aside till the price of copper goes up.

Yep it is heavy for sure.. Think the transformer is like 300#.. It looks really good inside no rusting or other discoloration that I can see.. Hope I can get it going so I can add it to the other antique welders I own.. Ramsay 1:)

Eutectic Welder

Hi all.. Did some checking and it seems for some reason that the main contactor is not closing for some reason.. Main transformer is not getting powered up...Ramsay 1:)

Eutectic Magna Tran

Still trying to find out why the main contactor won't close... I have checked the relays for burned contacts and open coils and they all seem to be in great condition....I have opened all of the timers and they all look fine... I found the thermostat and checked with vom and found it to be not open...

I found a schematic online but it is very hard to read.. If anyone has any info on this machine I would love to have it... Would gladly pay postage maybe more...

Thanks! Ramsay 1:)

i once wired up welder foot pedal incorrectly and blew a 1/10 amp fuse a car type fuse often like 5 fuses for $1.
better to blow fuse than $200 circuit board. i didnt even know it had fuses til weld repair store said check the fuses before bringing in for repair. they charge $50 to look at it and most customers would rather check fuses themselves first to see if that fixes it. nobody wants to pay $50 to have a fuse replaced

Thanks for the reply! Yes this machine has a fuse in it and I have checked it with a vom so it is good... There is a problem somewhere in the circuit that pulls in the main contactor but I have not fount it as of yet.. Ramsay 1:)

Thanks for the reply! Yes this machine has a fuse in it and I have checked it with a vom so it is good... There is a problem somewhere in the circuit that pulls in the main contactor but I have not fount it as of yet.. Ramsay 1:)

You say that the main contactor is not closing when you turn the machine on. Check to see what voltage is needed on the contactor's coil. For example, if 120 volts, there is very likely a control transformer inside to provide 120 V from 240 V. If that has burned or has a loose connector, there would be no power to the contactor. I would start there.

You say that the main contactor is not closing when you turn the machine on. Check to see what voltage is needed on the contactor's coil. For example, if 120 volts, there is very likely a control transformer inside to provide 120 V from 240 V. If that has burned or has a loose connector, there would be no power to the contactor. I would start there.

There is a control transformer which supplies 24 volt for timers and relay coils and there is also 230 volt coming from the secondaries of the same transformer to power the fan, indicator lights and the main contactor.. The fan and indicator lighs work but the main contactor will not close.. Relays work from the 24 volt side as I can see them closing ...Ramsay 1:)

Hello Everyone: I have narrowed my problem down to a bad pre flow timer... Now I need to find a new or used timer Potter and Brumfield CHB-38-31005 or TYCO timing relay 18R1858.. Any help appreciated.. Ramsay 1:)

Problem Solved!

Hello everyone: I found the problem with my Eutectic welder.. Pre flow timer was bad... It would not engage the main contactor.. Replaced timer with a new one and off and running..I think the arc with 5p is as smooth as my 1957 Lincoln Idealarc.. lol Thanks for the replies and help... Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 189
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 193
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 207

Back