What's new
What's new

Exhaust pipe expanders - any good?

All of the pipe expanders or tube crimpers I have worked with have had 8 or more segments, so I'm going to guess that this no name tool probably won't give terribly good results. Considered it has the word 'turbo' in the ad, I'm also going to guess its marketed toward the backyard 'mechanic' that will use it once and won't know the difference anyways.

I don't know how much you are going to use this tool but that seems pricey. I have a couple of pipe expanders that are hand operated that do a pretty good job. They are also a fraction of the cost of what you are looking at. They have served me well but I only use them occasionally. Mine are built on the principal of the expanding reamer. They have 8 "fingers" that have "o" ring grooves and "O" rings that hold the fingers together. There is a threaded cone at each end of the fingers. An impact wrench is used to drive the hardened bolt bringing the cones together and spreading the fingers. Anyway I think you get the picture. They work quite well for the occasional user. The pipe really doesn't come out "lumpy" but if you are concerned about that you can loosen it and rotate it slightly to iron out the pipe. For general muffler work however you don't have to do anything.

Thanks. It's the manual 8 finger type I have used in the past without impressive results. They will do the job but don't allow a lot of finesse or even-looking results.

If you buy a set of expensive headers they come (sometimes) with slip joints that are very precise and for lack of a better word attractive. That's what I'm aiming for....maybe not perfect but at least 'attractive' and precise.

I don't know how much you are going to use this tool but that seems pricey. I have a couple of pipe expanders that are hand operated that do a pretty good job. They are also a fraction of the cost of what you are looking at. They have served me well but I only use them occasionally. Mine are built on the principal of the expanding reamer. They have 8 "fingers" that have "o" ring grooves and "O" rings that hold the fingers together. There is a threaded cone at each end of the fingers. An impact wrench is used to drive the hardened bolt bringing the cones together and spreading the fingers. Anyway I think you get the picture. They work quite well for the occasional user. The pipe really doesn't come out "lumpy" but if you are concerned about that you can loosen it and rotate it slightly to iron out the pipe. For general muffler work however you don't have to do anything.

I also have several expanders. The Made-in-USA ones are pricier but generally work well and last much longer. One thing that is IMO critical is to lubricate the threads and the sliding surfaces with anti-seize or a high pressure lubricant.

In my experience these are best suited for correcting minor issues rather than trying to expand straight pipe into a slip joint except for occasional use.

I have one with 4 segments and one with 8. Both have a bolt that you tighten to spread the segments, I use a 1/2" air impact. Both stretch the pipe. After I stretch with the 4 segment tool I rotate it 45* and stretch again,other wise it's not round. One tool has a tapered roller bearing under the bolt, it works better. I'v had them for years but I know you could get them for less than $100.00

Header slips are made with a solid mandrel that is pressed into the inside of the tube to expand it. You will never get a good slip/seal with the expanding type.

I have used the inflatable pipe plugs to expand rubber Fernco fitting. This was working on a sewer line down 36" in the yard. I could not get it over one pipe even after wire brushing etc. So I expanded that end a little and left it to sit for 5 minutes or so. Then quick remove the plug and install it down the hole. Worked well but of course it is not a technique for metal pipe fittings.
The one linked above may be good to expand radiator hose ends if needed
Bil lD.

That one looks to only have two expander segments. If so its going to take forever to do a sleeve as you will have to do it in small expansion increments bit at a time rotating the expander between goes. Expand too much at each bite or rotate too much between bites and things will go out of shape never to be retrieved. I'd be unsurprised to discover that a cyclindrical outer former would be necessary for each bite size to ensure that things (probably) won't go pear shape.

Expensive way to practice cursing.

Clive

Back