What's new
What's new

Fabrication of a workshop bench with a steel rack

GoceKu

Plastic
I've been needing a bench in my machine shop, i have have good size benches in both my garages but i don't have space for a big bench here, so i'm making small one and want to integrate two large tool draws, and steel rack for row materials, i plan to leave free space on the very bottom so i can place couple of boxes to store my small pieces of materials. Today i started by fully welding bench top, i used 3 mm thick hot roll steel for most of the top but wanted a thick strong piece to be able to use a hammer on, next i cut and welded the frame to the bench top, had to use thinner pipe on the thicker bench top and left the front facing pipe open, for later attachments, then i weld in couple of supports on the thinner part, as a last thing i managed to weld the bench legs and the foothings, tomorow i plan to continue working on the materials racks, more to come. DSC_0009JPG.jpgDSC_0004JPG.jpgDSC_0006JPG.jpg

Use some triangle bracing between the legs or sheet metal sides and back if you can. It will make the bench much more rigid. This is a good thing if you have to use a vice on the bench or do any sawing etc.

Yes Mark i know what you mean, tomorrow i'll continue bracing in, building the steel storage rack, the tubing i'm using is heavy wall for its size, and with the weight of the steel i have to store on it i don't belive it will move.

Today i continued working on this bench, finish the steel rack, but had to stop short of finishing, i need to find couple of pieces of wood, because the slides i have are for wooden drawers, once i finish the tool drawers little clean up and paint, more to come.DSC_0002.jpg

Today i was finally able to finish this bench, i wasn't able to find big enough pieces of wood so i made the drawers out of particle board, painted it satin black, and put it to use, load it up with some scrap pieces and now i can order me some new round stock and don't worry about rust I left the bench top unpainted because it will get scratch anyways, i'll oil it.DSC_0006.jpgDSC_0002.jpg

Back