What's new
What's new

Fiber Laser Weld - Power Supply needed

motion guru

Diamond
This is new territory for me - I am looking for a 1 - 1.5 kW fiber laser welding source.

The existing unit is a Trumpf unit rated at 1kW and about 20 years old and our customer wants to update with newer hardware that is more readily supported. We provided the original system weld path control and even at 20 years old, it surpasses what we can do with CNC so we are sticking with that design and redeploying with new hardware and now are looking for a suitable new power supply.

I know the easy answer is "call trumpf" . . . which we will do, but who else should we call? And dealers that you are familiar with that provide good tech / application support?

I have already contacted Amada per the advertisement to the right.

Mitsubishi? Not sure if its still true but they use to be the OEM in a lot of the CO2 laser sources in amada machines. Issue probably is going to be beam shaping, most are using fibre for cutting, presumably for welding you need a different beam shape - power pattern?

Mitsubishi? Not sure if its still true but they use to be the OEM in a lot of the CO2 laser sources in amada machines. Issue probably is going to be beam shaping, most are using fibre for cutting, presumably for welding you need a different beam shape - power pattern?

Don't the final lenses shape the beam for your application? All I know is a tiny bit about my 2000 era CO2 machines, but in mine the resonators generate the beam, several chilled mirrors get the beam to the lenses and the lenses focus/shape the beam to the necessary form to cut.

Back