What's new
What's new

First robotic team need help

Fubar, that's not an easy part to machine from silicone rubber, as even the hardest durometer would still want to "move away" from the cutter. I think I'd agree with Adama that molding these is the way to go, or changing the design to an aluminum or polycarbonate hub with a silicone tire made by slicing tubing (or even using O-rings). If machined you'll need some sort of corner clearance for the hex, or a broach to finish a round hole.

If the spokes and hex drive are really needed you might try to find a laser cutting house to do them. I don't think a "maker space" type laser cutter will be powerful enough to do a good job, so you need a professional grade laser.

[Edit: My bad for not noticing what forum this was in, laser/waterjet would be the way to go]

Last edited:
I think they may have jumped the gun earlier today. They had a build meeting last night and found a lot more wrong with the intake subsystem then the material. The plan is to hold off on fabricating the wheels for the time being.

I really appreciate the help , and I really hope I didn't waste too much of your time today.

No problem to waterjet but if someone does it, it would be good to do it over a support sheet of fiberboard or whatever as it will make a neater job by minimizing slat blow back on this soft material. It might be better to cut the inner from aluminum and then cast a thinner silicone "wheel" around the outside. You'll need the right mould but the waterjet surface will give great adhesion. Having said all that, there are a lot of sources of elastomer wheels including roller blade wheels which I've used successfully on projects, as well as many options for custom urethane tires on metal wheels you supply.

Good luck with the design revisions! I think it's just a fine thing to discuss these First projects on PM as there is much less need for secrecy that commercial jobs, and much more sympathy for student design issues. The usual "how do I make this" posts on PM usually reach the conclusion that, "Dear lord the customer's engineer is a nitwit!" First type projects definitely make better engineers.

Back