What's new
What's new

Freebie Victor Micro Torch - is it worth while???

comstockfriend

Hot Rolled
Picked up a small Oxy-acetylene tank set. Came with a Victor Micro Torch and Victor MR-100P and MR-110P regulators. Almost toy like. I have never had a torch set up and will need a larger torch for most work (and cutting), but will also need something for slightly bigger than jewelry work. They don't seem to be made any more (not on the ESAB/Victor website). Worth while to fix up (needs work) or are these junk???

John

John,

I have a Micro Torch and it's very useful for very small tasks. My standard Oxy-Acetylene set is full size including the regulators. I have quick connects on the Micro Torch hoses that allow me to attach it to the standard full size setup in a hurry with no fussing around. Turn the regulator pressure down and you're ready to weld. I don't use special "micro" regulators with the torch.

Stuart

I've had a micro-torch for many years. If I recall, it's made by Smiths. It came with 5 tips including a small rosebud and works very well. It has smaller hoses and you just remove the standard Oxy-acetylene hoses and thread the ones for the micro-torch on. I use the standard regulators with low settings. I've used the torch for soft solder, silver solder and heating and bending thin brass and steel sections. I've used it many times for projects on my G Scale model railroad but it also does good work on miniature braze joints.

Back