What's new
What's new

Glasses or shield for Oxy Acetylene?

Spud

Diamond
High quality face-shield or high quality glasses for Oxy Acetylene welding? I prefer a full-face shield, as long as it is as clear as googles/glasses.

Am in Tech school Auto-Body welding. Finished MIG welding, will be starting Oxy Acetylene welding this Thursday.

I wear glasses so I use a full face shield. I find it's easier to move the face shield out of the way with one hand when you wear glasses than the goggles.

I don't do much OXY welding, but for cutting and any sort of torch work I always reach for the face shield.

High quality face-shield or high quality glasses for Oxy Acetylene welding? I prefer a full-face shield, as long as it is as clear as googles/glasses.

Am in Tech school Auto-Body welding. Finished MIG welding, will be starting Oxy Acetylene welding this Thursday.

The school doesn't provide ? Or at least recommend ?

The school doesn't provide ? Or at least recommend ?

They have shields. But I was looking to get a new one, and the best one there is.
So for those of you using shields, are they shaded? Is it a #5 shade?

My Optrel welding helmet has a grind mode, which doesn't auto darken like when I am welding, but it's still to dark for my preference.

They say you should use a #5, the problem I have is I can't see what the hell I'm doing with a shade 5, I prefer a #3. Vectron makes a nice shield.

My current favorite face shield is the Uvex Bionic. I haven't found it sold with a #5 installed, but #5 are available to swap with the original clear. And its not to bad of deal, as after you try the Bionic, you will probably buy another headset with the clear lens for grinding.

Glasses for me but my eyes are dying from misuse and age.
Torch welding will not burn your skin like Mig or Tig.
Different deal and radiation altogether.
All good and maybe better to do full face but some find it cumbersome.
If you are comfy with it perhaps it is the best way to go.
I have not found an adjustable helmet that goes down far enough for me in the gas world.
Bob

Back