What's new
What's new

Got a bad batch of tube, supplier tried to blame me

brianweldor

Cast Iron
Ordered 4 pieces of 6061 pipe recently from a large supplier (rhymes with "PissFin") and the shipping tag said 6061, but the pipe was 6063. Not that big a deal, especially since I was bending the pipe and 6063 bends great, right? About 5° into the bend, it snaps in two. I called my supplier, who called Sisk... I mean their supplier, and their response was "Well that can't be right. Are you sure the lot numbers are the same. Are you sure it's 6063? We don't even stock that". Eventually they realized I wasn't lying and that they effed it up. This was my first experience with bogus material, I wonder what alloy and temper it really was.

Confusing.

Tube or pipe?

Tube should have continuous identification markings printed on.

How did you determine the 6063 I.D.?

Confusing.

Tube or pipe?

Tube should have continuous identification markings printed on.

How did you determine the 6063 I.D.?
Sorry about the title, it was pipe. The alloy and lot # were printed on the pipe, but somehow nobody noticed that it was the wrong pipe.

Sorry about the title, it was pipe. The alloy and lot # were printed on the pipe, but somehow nobody noticed that it was the wrong pipe.
First rule of receiving, physically check and verify every and everything that is delivered. Whom ever is accepting deliveries' first responsibility is to verify the material. An extra minute or two saves so much in the end.

Second that.

Almost every packing list shipping receipt states that the shipment should be inspected at once and damage reported to shipper.

In this case wrong item shipped per readable print on item.

Simple to change process and drivers do not like to wait but simple process is "touch audit" everything that comes in and reject orders such as this one.

The driver really does not like these as often the next delivery is under or behind your order but not your problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

In this case I was going to the steel yard to pick up the material, and was in a rush to get the other parts of the order loaded before closing time. You guys get material delivered straight to your shop? What a luxury.

First rule of receiving, physically check and verify every and everything that is delivered. Whom ever is accepting deliveries' first responsibility is to verify the material. An extra minute or two saves so much in the end.
I had wrongly assumed my supplier did this with the material they received.

Got a certified letter from Castle Metals once saying that the Inconel 600 bars they sent us, may in fact, be Monel 400K, but not to worry as the corrosion resistance characteristics were 'similar'. As we were using the bars as furnace cold pin power lead ins, it was a problem. Ended up the bundle was mixed, some Inconel, some Monel, and Castle has a nuke cert! Garrett Air Research had discovered the F-up prior to forging into turbine blades using an analyzer. Our much smaller company had to believe the material cert and had no way to think the material was anything but Inconel. I did an around the world tour ID'ing the material (nitric acid doesn't touch the Inconel, makes a green spot on Monel). Two out of ten locations had the wrong material. Castle only replaced the material, no other reimbursement.

Back