What's new
What's new

Help with Repairing Spot Weld

Me239

Plastic
Hi, I'm trying to help my friend repair his universal M1 Carbine that had the slide assembly break. The part was two pieces, flush, with a spot weld between the two. I tried using a MAPP torch and some silver solder to repair it, but the second it cooled, the metal flexed and broke the joint. I'm new to this and not sure how to proceede with my limited tooling. How would one join two small pieces without creating a seam and keeping it flush. I will try to post pictures in the comments.IMG_3001.jpgIMG_3002.jpgIMG_3003.jpg

With limited tooling I would think to either drill two holes in the non-critical piece, clamp them together then mig and grind down the weld, or drill two holes, thread them, insert threaded fastener with loctite trim down to almost flush, peen both sides almost flat and grind/file for finish.
Better option would be Numerich Arms (Gun Parts Co) and a replacement part.
Just my opinion.
V/R W Winget

Looks like you did not adequately clean the joint, or used insufficient heat, or both. A silver-soldered lap should be stronger than the parts.

HOWEVER, perhaps not a good idea to fix that part at all, likely it is heat-treated and your brazing will soften it, then your gun will fight on the enemy's side. Get a new part, or learn a lot more.

Back