What's new
What's new

help sizing Victor cutting torch

jackal

Titanium
A place I worked at had bought (2) Victor cuttting torch sets about 1 year ago.

One set was a small body on the torch about 3/4" diameter (I believe an FC 100 torch body)

The other set had a large body about 1" to 1 1/8", but I don't know which one it was. All of the pics they show on the internet are the Fc 100 body . They seem to show this picture no matter what the set is.

I need to know if it is the Firepower, Journeyman 1 or 2, Cutmaster, etc.

Also is the large body the 270 fc or 310 fc, or something else?

I figure Macona and a few others will know this right away.

Thanks for the great info,

JAckal:D

These were the sets in the green box with stainless covered walls.

what you are dealing with is a combination torch- a mixing barrel which can accept welding/brazing tips as well as a cutting attachment. Look on the cutting attachment. There should be a number stamped on the side of it, in the brass body just below where the cutting valve hinge pin is located. This will be a number something like "1050". The 1050 cutting attachment was offered by Victor as part or their heavier duty outfits (Journeyman, Contractor, I think). In any case, the cutting attachment number is the key to the tips. Tips will have two numbers: a style number, and a size. The style number is the body dimensions, tying it to a particular cutting attachment.

I am unsure what you mean by "tip size"- if you mean cutting tip sizes for different thicknesses of material to be cut, that's one thing. Victor starts their cutting tip numbers- based on the size of the cutting jet orifice in the center of the tip- at about 00. That is a fine tip, used for cutting thnner plate (10 gauge) or for some bevelling. A "1" sized tip was good for most work, such as cutting and bevelling standard wall steel pipe (about 3/8").
I never found much need for more than a "1" sized tip, maybe a 2 or 3 if cutting heavier structurals or perhaps 3/4" plate. A number 4 cutting tip on a Victor torch was a serious matter- used on cutting heavier structural shapes or 1" plate.

Oxyfuel torch components can be mix and matched. A set of regulators from one outfit will supply fuel gas and oxygen to an entirely different manufacturer's torch or size of torch. It comes down to checking the torch mixing barrel number (should be stamped on the side of the handle) and the cutting attachment number. Victor will then have a reference to style number of cutting tips the cutting attachment uses.

Joe Michaels

Thanks,
Somebody just contacted me & the size "barrel" I need is the 315.

Not having access to this company or the torches anymore, means getting the number from the torch is a loss.

I am familiar with the tip & sizing. The number of the torch body (mixing barrel) was my concern. It was large and comfortable. The smaller 100 body was hard to handle with gloves on. Especially using a circle attachment.

The 315 was easier to set and seemed to cut a lot cleaner than the 100 body. We had 2 of the 100 bodies and with various tip they never would cut the 1" thick plate as smooth ( even with pre-heating the plate).

Thanks,
JAckal

I will check my own Victor cutting outfit. I believe I also have a 315 mixing barrel. The cutting attachment is the CA 1050, that much I know from memory. I have had this oxyacetylene outfit for only the past 35 years. I pieced it together, getting the heavier Victor 2-stage regulators back in 1973. This was thinking ahead to feeding a heavier rosebud.

I bought a few new Victor torches recently enough for the powerplant I work at. from that experience, I know that Victor has obsoleted the CA 1050 number. Whatever they replaced that number with uses the same tips as my old CA 1050. It is pretty much the same cutting attachment as my old CA 1050 in size, feel and cutting tips. I thing the 315 mixing barrel remains in production.

If you talk to a welding equipment salesman or perhaps a Victor tech support line, ask what the modern equivalent to the CA 1050 is. I will get down to my shop and give you the tip style numbers for the CA 1050.

As you note, the CA 1050 (or whatever the modern number is) + the 315 mixing barrel is a good combination. On my first job out of school as an engineer, I worked on a powerplant construction site. I had to "tool up" the pipefitters. The pipefitter foreman pretty much told me the pipefitters' preferences- the Victor 315 + CA 1050. I was a young, green engineer and the pipefitters adopted me. As a result, they taught me a lot of practical skills, not the least of which is a basic knowledge of welding and burning that has remained with me ever since. They taught me to reall yuse a cutting torch, and we cut and freehand bevelled all the pipe on the job that way. We are talking a few hundred welds, running from 3" up to 12" pipe. The oldtimers taught me to really use a torch, and I came to appreciate the
"heft" of the 1050. I've used the lighter weight Victor torches and ha ve to agree the control is not there.

For a combnation outfit that you can braze, O/A weld, use a rosebud or cut with, I think the 315 mixing barrel and 1050 cutting attachment are just right for a shop which has only one O/A outfit.

I will get you the tip style number when I get into my shop.

Joe Michaels

Thanks Joe,
I'll look for that 1050 type cutting head. Maybe I can find a good used one.;)

Those 315 barrels do have a better feel don't they. It feels more secure and it seems that I don't bump/turn the adjustment knobs on the large torch either, when wearing large gloves.

I'll try to find out what cutting head they are using now, for the 1050 replacement.

Let me know anything else you find out.

Thanks again,
JAckal

I checked my Victor cutting outfit- The torch barrel is a 315, the cutting attachment is the CA 1050. Tips for the cutting attachement were Victor style 1-101, which I think may now be the Victor style 3.

I hope this information helps you find the cutting attachment & torch mixing barrel you preferred.

Joe Michaels

Well, I bought me a torch outfit on E-bay.

It is a Victor Journeyman. In like new condition (hardly used), but an older model without the built-in flashback protectors.

The handle is a 315 & the cutting attachment is a model "1060". The cutting tips are the larger size Victor.

I had to fire it up and try out on some 1/4" wall tubing. That torch cuts so sweet :cheers:.

Thanks a lot, Joe Michaels.

I appreciate your help,

JAckal:)

Back