What's new
What's new

Strange behavior...Lincoln Pro Cut 55 plasma cutter

After cutting for about 5 min. or so using new consumables the "safety" light comes on and cutting stops. You push the little cancel button next to the light, it goes out and cutting resumes. Shortly the light comes on again and cutting stops. After this happens 3 or 4 times I have to change the consumables. they are big money considering how long they don't last. Now I find that if I take the retainer cap off and wipe the tip off with my finger, removing nothing, put it together and I'm good to go. What gives? any ideas?

Yes, the arc won't start if there is contamination between the electrode and the cup. Clean the cup as you have been doing. A dryer and a filter in the airline will help. Ur old consumables are probably good. Replace consumables with the cut get ragged.

You might have an air leak inside the machine. There is a small hose between the valve and the torch inside the machine. For some reason I have never figured out they used hard polyethylene tubing over hose barbs. The tubing eventually splits causing intermittent faults. Real pain to get to too...

Back