What's new
What's new

Horizontal bandsaw buying help

Crash.HM

Plastic
I'm in the market for a horizontal band saw. Something in the 7x12 range. This is to support my welding rig so stalking craigslist for 6 months is not an option for me, and almost everything I've seen on there with in 4 hours drive for the last few months has been garbage.

I can afford around $1k is there anything other than Grizzly that I should be looking at? I see stuff by dayton and bolton, but I'm having a lot of difficulty finding reviews on either.

Thanks.

The 7X12 Jet's seem to be reasonable quality.Friend of mine has been running one in his shop for 5 years or so with no issues.

I have and Enco. It has worked well except for the half nut that allows sliding the moveable side of the vise. It does not grip anymore. After getting tired of reaching under and holding the nut whilst tightening the handwheel I finally welded a half washer on the end of the nut to keep the threads engaged. Might be easier to replace the Acme thread and nut with a 3/4" but you still need the frame that bolts into the sliding half.
A friend with his own machine shop has a Jet.

I'd suggest an Ellis 1500 or 1600, but the list is about 3X your budget. Maybe find a dealer closeout or a lightly-used? You can probably find a 1600 at pretty much the same price as a 1500, but the wider blade is a big plus on the 1600.

If my budget was only $1000 I wouldn't even consider a new saw. I'd be looking for an older Dake/Kysor/Johnson or Wells, preferably with a 1" blade. Might need a little attention, but they're pretty basic and not too hard to fix up.

call equipment sales and surplus. they are the national scratch and dent liquidators for Jet, Wilton, and also carry a couple other brands. They are good guys to work with, and the prices are great- but you gotta call and talk, they dont bother to put the one-off deals on their website.

Equipment Sales and Surplus

I see stuff by dayton and bolton, but I'm having a lot of difficulty finding reviews on either.

Thanks.

Our shop has a Dayton that we've used for YEARS AND YEARS, its held up but its defiantly one of the cheaper saws in terms of quality.

Back