What's new
What's new

Idling power consumption on transformer TIG machines?

ttyR2

Plastic
On transformer machines such as the older Lincoln IdealARC TIG 300/300, do they draw a large amount of current when powered on but idling without an arc being struck? I'm confused with the PFC setup that some machines have.

I'm shopping around for a good used machine, but if the older transformer machines use a lot of power when not welding, it's inverter time.

i never did any experiments, but my machine has popped the (undersized , worn) panel
breaker powering up -when the controls were on high(275A) and the current control at 70% , left in that position . now i always turn the current down before i turn it on
and it hasn't happened since.

although , when under load , i've never had the (60A )breaker pop . it may be that the
old relays are arcing at powerup on my 1984 tig250/250 .

my assumption would be that there shouldn't be any more than a couple amps draw for
running the fan and solenoids and pilot lamp ,until the arc is struck.

i'm interested to know if anyone's ever put an ammeter on one to find out.

I have the exact same welder and have taken current measurements out of curiosity. Mine draws about 30A at idle, the current draw actually decreases when you start to weld. I have 40A breaker on it now and have no problems welding up to about 175A. If you are going to have the thing on all day long it will cost a fortune.

Easiest way is to see if there is a version of your welder that has PFC and order the same parts. One could also look at and equivalent machine that has them and order the same caps.

You can lower the idle current significantly by installing power factor correcting capacitors.

Macona, you're backwards in that assertion. PF correction caps could be the reason his idle current is so high. Look at the table on page 13 for the Syncrowave 250/350's and you'll see that idle current jumps from 2.8A to 49.5A when you add PF caps.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o363f_mil.pdf

Looks like I got that one backards. I could have sworn it was the other way around. Drops the power draw under load.

Another benefit of PFC is it will increase the duty cycle when using unbalanced AC out according to the ESAB manuals.

It does drop the power draw under load, but it raises it considerably at idle.

From my limited knowledge of PFC, it's useful to reduce the consumption when the machines aren't idle very much. For a small fab shop or single operator, it would eat you alive in electric bills, but put it on a robot welder and it saves you money.

From some other discussions on this forum, it seems that while the idle amps (current) may be high, it's "out of phase/sync" with the voltage, so the power (watts) is quite low.

Back