What's new
What's new

Is hydraulic jack oil any paticular viscosity?

JST

Diamond
Allegedly it is about SAE 10. But none of the bottles will admit to anything as far as a spec, the best they do is to give some equivalent part numbers, usually.

I have a hydraulic damper that takes 10, and no quick source. Straight 10 is not around locally, but they do have jack oil. It doesn't need much, I can get ISO 46 by the pail, but that would last me into the year 2300, and I don;t use it, or any other form of SAE 10 anywhere..

Allegedly it is about SAE 10. But none of the bottles will admit to anything as far as a spec, the best they do is to give some equivalent part numbers, usually.

I have a hydraulic damper that takes 10, and no quick source. Straight 10 is not around locally, but they do have jack oil. It doesn't need much, I can get ISO 46 by the pail, but that would last me into the year 2300, and I don;t use it, or any other form of SAE 10 anywhere..

Costly item, that damper? Or a Rockauto fast replace? My only worry would be compatibility of seals and even that only if the maker used something unusual so as to share working fluid with siblings, same chassis. Automakers do that sort of s**t more often than machine-tool or lifting and loading / MHE builders do.

"Jack oil" without an ISO rating is a bit like buying "compressor oil", "pressure washer oil" "2-stroke oil" and what not. There is no "one size fits all" but someone markets it as such and consumers lap it up from Auto and Box stores. My compressor uses 4 different grades from 5W to 30W depending on operating temperatures. 2 stroke oil? don't get me started. ;)

My opinion - buy a quart of what you want online. DTExx is easy to get. Or... try your local Autoparts store "online". They will be deliverer to your local store or your home. Or... beg a quart for Xmas fund contribution from a big equipment repair place. IS032, 46 and 68 is common. Aircraft turbine oil is another source and it has "expiry dates" (lol). I have several cans of "out of date".

air tool oil usually works good. if much thicker sometimes difficult to pump and sometimes difficult to get air bubbles out. also in colder temperatures oil gets thicker. not unusual to have problems in the winter

Thing is, I want the damper (and machine) working by noon or so tomorrow. So I don't want to wait around for shipment, or dick around cadging some etc. I can go to the local auto joint in a few minutes. I probably will.

Was basically trying to find out the chances of it being close.

Thanks

Thing is, I want the damper (and machine) working by noon or so tomorrow. So I don't want to wait around for shipment, or dick around cadging some etc. I can go to the local auto joint in a few minutes. I probably will.

Was basically trying to find out the chances of it being close.

Thanks

Got a Deere dealership close by? JD Low Viscosity Hy-Gard is ISO 32/10w. $15 or so a gallon.

Last edited:
I have DTE 24 if you want some but I used it in my truck crane with a standard hydraulic jack cylinder on the boom and it was really slow in cold weather. As much sense as I can make of all the tables of different systems, DTE 24 is much lighter than SAE 10. The jack oil I have used is lighter than DTE 24, so SAE 10 looks like it would be sluggish.

I get DTE 24 in 5 gallon buckets for hydraulic systems.

Bill

Dunno. Whatever was in it was too thin. SAE 30 makes it more like it is filled with concrete.

Both ISO 32 and 46 cross to 10, depending on whose chart you look at, so the 32 is a good start. Thank you.

Jack oil it will be, and if it is too thin, I can add SAE 30 and see how the mix behaves.

Baby oil is pretty close to 10 weight paraffin mineral oil with added scent. ISO 22 hydraulic oil should cross to the lower end of SAE 10. Baby oil is cheap and easy to get at the supermarket.

The jack oil whatever the viscosity, works well enough that it will be fine, and not need anything more done. Back in business now with it.

Thank you.

they sell spindle oil so thin its like kerosene but cleaner. if also tends to leak more easily, faster because of the low viscosity. just saying literally too low a viscosity oil might cause problems too

they sell spindle oil so thin its like kerosene but cleaner. if also tends to leak more easily, faster because of the low viscosity. just saying literally too low a viscosity oil might cause problems too

It DID. The original offered lousy damping, was very hard to adjust. I think the oil was diluted.

I too needed jack oil one day and could not wait until Monday to find some. I needed to change a tire on a truck and needed to get it done now! So I used what I had, ATF and it has now been in the jack for years with no issues.

Not so. I have pulled up the data sheets and found that common brands are ISO 22, 32 and 46. Pull up a chart for cross reference to SAE viscosity.They also vary in composition Permatex is not petroleum based. The info. may not always be on the bottles but if you go to the company web sites the info may be on a Technical Data Sheet (TDS) ). A lor of info. can also be found, like chemical composition, by looking at the Safety Data Sheet (SDS), formerly MSDS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"Jack oil" without an ISO rating is a bit like buying "compressor oil", "pressure washer oil" "2-stroke oil" and what not. There is no "one size fits all" but someone markets it as such and consumers lap it up from Auto and Box stores. My compressor uses 4 different grades from 5W to 30W depending on operating temperatures. 2 stroke oil? don't get me started. ;)

My opinion - buy a quart of what you want online. DTExx is easy to get. Or... try your local Autoparts store "online". They will be deliverer to your local store or your home. Or... beg a quart for Xmas fund contribution from a big equipment repair place. IS032, 46 and 68 is common. Aircraft turbine oil is another source and it has "expiry dates" (lol). I have several cans of "out of date".
Mobil DTE 24 is ISO 32. I have found ISO 22, 32 and 46 jack oil. When you have a jack with no oil viscosity specified, like most of them what do you do? Does it even matter. In fact I have even found ISO 15 hydraulic oil at Grainger and Hein Werner lists theirs at ISO 10. Shin Fu, that makes the HW jacks does not even spec that oil or spec. viscosity for their other brands, like Omega. Hiball, the GJ resident jack expert says he uses AW32. That is ISO 32 with anti wear additives and anti foam and anti rust. The mobil DTE 24 looks good but it is expensive and Grainger no longer sells it in qts. They claim a 5 year shelf life so it does not last forever.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back