What's new
What's new

Welding poor quality aluminum

gbent

Diamond
I am modifying aluminum die castings. The first batch worked well, the aluminum was of a good quality. These castings were produced 5-10 years ago.

The latest batch is a more recent casting and the aluminum quality is terrible. As soon as I get a melt pool started, impurities float to the top.

I am currently running a puddle with no filler where I need to weld. This is just to float out the impurities. I then brush or sand the impurities off and then run the bead with filler. This technique works poor to fair but is slow.

What other techniques can someone recommend for dealing with poor quality aluminum? I am using a 30 year old transformer machine, so no AC balance controls or other inverter tricks.

This of course may not work in your situation but:

-Grind/ Clean first. (I'm sure you already are).

-Try Max Cleaning on your balance adj.

-Start the arc on the filler rod and let that 'good' material settle into the 'bad', at the start of the weld. Try to stay heavy with the filler.

With nasty old aluminum like a pontoon boat I usually have to do what you are doing...lay a nasty bead, grind, lay another, etc.

Good luck,

James

I have found that a stainless steel wire brush or even a flap wheel works good... In my business I get a lot of dirty aluminum castings and I have to wire them or sand them to weld decent.. If you are trying to weld a perfect bead you may be fighting a loosing battle... There are so many different metals and impuraties now days that it is a wonder the welds look as good as they do... I can tell you welding the dirty aluminum has made me a better tig welder and find welding other odd metals easier every time .. good luck

Back