What's new
What's new

Miller wire speed

teamsouth

Aluminum
Guys just wondering a few things....I have a miller 251 and it seems to get a good weld I have to have the wore speed faster than that of the voltage..Now i only raise that question because my buddy has a lincoln 255 which is opposite of mine as far as wire speed/voltage. Now he told me that wire speed should be higher than the voltage as far as the dial on the front. So my question is this..How is the proper way to set up a miller 251 as far as roller tension and spool tension on the wire spool??

Im sure ur gonna say if it welds good just use it but im trying to learn more than just to do that.

Thanks,
Chris

Different V/A curves and max output differences between the two are going to make them totally different.

There is zero correlation between the setting of the voltage and speed control knobs. The info on the inside panel of the machine is a good place to start and adjust from there.

Spool tension should be just tight enough so that when the melder stops feeding the spool does not continue to unspool. Adjust this with a full roll as the full roll will have more momentum.

The drive roll can be set two ways. The way I do it is feed out a couple inches of wire from the gun. I then pinch my thumb and forefinger around the wire and hit the trigger. I tighten it till the wire slips through my fingers without jerking.

Another method is to run out a few inches and bend the wire back against the nozzle. Then run the wire against a piece of wood like you would be welding. The wire should push off to one side and keep feeding when its tight enough.

Read the manual...

Back