What's new
What's new

Laser cutting Delrin?

scadvice

Titanium
Anyone ever cut Delrin (Acetal) sheets (.01" thick)? I have an inquiry to do some special gaskets but my laser is in the middle of me installing a new cooling system so I can’t even do a test run. I know it will cut OK, I don't recall things like edge finish and detail of small features or how color effects the cut.

I could do them on the mill with a plate fixture but the laser would be so much faster and the mill would be a much higher bid cost with all the detail on these parts. The laser will be up and running in plenty of time before the parts were due.

Trying to estimated things out here before sending in bid.:scratchchin: 

OK...this went well...

I should have added these gaskets have some features that are .030 walls that's a 3 to 1 aspect ratio and the tolerance is minus .005 plus .01 thou....

I don't recall how it melts then re solidifies on the edge.

No experience with Delrin but we do tons of HDPE, neoprene and fiber gaskets with our laser. At .010 thick there should be no real issues with melting if you keep your power just high enough to cut through and move fast. I would be more concerned about material this thin moving around from the assist gas pressure. May have to tack glue it to a backer for rigidity.

I've cut 1/8" Delrin on a 60W VersaLaser with good results. Not as clean as acrylic but I think with a .015" overall tolerance you'll be fine.

I don't actually know what is in the fumes when you melt Delrin, but one time I tacked a suspension braket that had a delrin bushing installed and the fumes knocked me on my ass. I had to go sit outside for a while.

I don't actually know what is in the fumes when you melt Delrin, but one time I tacked a suspension braket that had a delrin bushing installed and the fumes knocked me on my ass. I had to go sit outside for a while.

Probably formaldehyde.

The Laser is well vented to the outside. Thank's

I'm sure the EPA will like that. We stopped cutting plastics with the laser for this and the machine itself. The residue from cutting plastics on laser causes all kinds of issues with the laser itself. It gets into all kinds of cracks and crevices and depending how much plastic cutting you do, can lead to some expensive maint.

Back