What's new
What's new

Is this a laser job?

RJT

Titanium
Need to make some small filter plates. .012 thick stainless, .250 diameter with 25 holes .012 diameter in the center inside a .158 diameter circle. Quoting 50 and 250 pieces. I can make a simple die and punch out the blanks , make a holding fixture and drill the holes, but was wondering about doing these with a laser? Tiny part I know, but maybe there is a trick I don't know about. We don't do any sheet metal fab work, just chip making.

Yes, considered hole popping, but we only have a manual hole popper. One stack of 50 wouldn't be bad but would need 5 or so repeats at 25 holes per part for 250 pcs. Could be done, but i know a laser's speed would knock these out in a hurry. Didn't think of etching, I'll look into that too.

Need to make some small filter plates. .012 thick stainless, .250 diameter with 25 holes .012 diameter in the center inside a .158 diameter circle. Quoting 50 and 250 pieces. I can make a simple die and punch out the blanks , make a holding fixture and drill the holes, but was wondering about doing these with a laser? Tiny part I know, but maybe there is a trick I don't know about. We don't do any sheet metal fab work, just chip making.

We do parts like this in our Lasers. The .012 hole might not be perfect considering the beam is .008.

We did a job a few years back where they wanted a 7/16 square with a .017 dia on .023 centers perf made from .006 Stainless Fullhard Shim Stock. We did it...

IMG_0006.jpgIMG_0009.jpg

I was making similar items using resist and etching. Photo resit will produce excellent results, but even laser printed resit cam do the job. The process is actually quite fast and you can squeeze all your patterns on one or two sheets of the metal foil.

Last edited:
Just curious, didnt I read that the new fiber lasers have a beam width of like .003"

Our Fiber Lasers are geared to production. This type of part we run on an old Amada 1212 Pulsar C02. My operator is the one who is capable...not the machine...he makes it work. He has been running Lasers since 1977.

Our Fibers typically run about .0015-.0018 Cutter Comp so yes you are correct...about .003.

Back