What's new
What's new

LH Welding Rod Control Question

Walter,

Being an old Millwright and not required to weld on any certified projects I would open the can, stick some electrodes in my leather pouch and when finished, return the pouch and unused rods to an old refrigerator equipped with a 100 watt light bulb.

All the rods were stored in this sealed reefer which stayed toasty all the time. Commercial electrode ovens have thermostats and can stay at a selected temp indefinitely...this was to high tech for me though.:)

Stuart

For most of our work we have to be qualified to and follow AWS standards then prove it when audited (never happened but it's always a possibility)

I need to come up with a good way to identify rods that have already been out of the oven once. We mostly only stick weld in the field and have portable hot boxes for then. I just need an acceptable way to identify the rods that have been out once so they can only be removed only once more.

I'm thinking about painting the ends red when they are returned to the oven the first time then set a policy so no red painted rods are returned to the oven again. However with small field crews this seems pretty tough to monitor.

Just wondering what anyone else has come up with.

Walter A.

Back