What's new
What's new

linde tracer torch question

todd goff

Hot Rolled
I just picked up a linde torch yesterday that is the pantograph type (so to speak). It has the motor on it that turns a shaft which has a magnet on the end that will trace a pattern and cut out whatever the pattern is. My question is this; will this machine cut out just circles or whatever shape that the template is? I ran it today (at least the motor) but haven't checked out the torch part yet; had a time freeing up the rusty arms but finally got it. What would these machines be good for; for what I paid for it I certainly am not hurt but do want to find a use for it. Also, I was wondering if there are any companies that make steel templates to go on these machines to cut out decorative things?

Todd,

I had one of those although it was a different brand. It will cut whatever the template is, not just circles. Making the proper template requires a little bit of time so these torches don't do well for 'one off' designs.

Stuart

tracer

I've had several of the magnetic tracers and they are very handy... not as handy as the CNC machines we use now, but handy none-the-less.

Circles are child's play. Go to any decent fab shop or whittle out your own stylus's in a few different diameters. Then go get some short cutoffs of round pipe, DOM tubing, etc. and you can use a combination of pipe as a template and stylus to make different diameter circles on the ID and OD of your templates. A bit of scrap steel and a welder let's you tack up templates in no time. 1/4" welding rod works O/K as well.

Good luck finding a template for decorative parts, but any shop with a CNC burner could make the patterns you need if you let them know your stylus size.

Stu

I have the same machine . Pretty basic . you can make different size circles , but will have to experiment with kerf widths . I sometimes bolt a piece of angle iron on to make straight cuts .
I rarely use mine now that I have a plasma cutter to cut 1/2" .
But when I need to cut 1" to 2" plate this is a handy thing to have .
The pickup stylus on mine has several diameters stepped down . From about 1/4" to 1/2" .
Allows some adjustment on circle diameters . You need to use the smallest diameter to slow down the feed speed on thick plate .

Measure your knurled magnetic roller, the one that traverses the edge of your template. If it's 1/4" diameter, then when you lay out your template (has to be at least 1/16" thick steel) make it 1/4" undersize in all dimensions. Then when you cut your workpiece it will be correctly sized.

I have a buddy who has the Airco version, has done a lot of things with it. Cut out anvil bases from 5" plate steel, also tons of art metal shapes. I used it a few times, worked great.

These used to be sort of valuable, but now that every other guy has a CNC plasma setup in his garage they have little resale value, maybe $150 for one in perfect working condition.

At least around here ..

metalmagpie

Tracer

Congratulations on finding a used tracer. I have looked for a while and finally decided to build one.

In addition to the stepped mag tracers, you can add a variable speed motor controller if you can't hit the travel speed you need with the diameters available.

I have made patterns from sheet metal rather than steel plate, the operative part of the pattern is the edge that the magnet contacts. It must be wide enough to present enough surface area to allow the magnet to 'stick' without slipping.

You can free hand cut a pattern and then 'flange' the edge to achieve enough area for the mag to connect to. If you flange the pattern enough to allow for the kerf of the mag follower you can make the pattern actual size and achieve the pattern offset by bending the flange. Other wise cut and grind the pattern out of heavier stock.

I built a mag follower and had planed on using a strait carbide burr for a drive... guess what, pure carbide is pretty much non magnetic.
I am now going to try a socket Allen screw head.

I have set up my cutting torch to use separate preheat and cutting gas circuits. You can turn off the preheat after you have established the burn and save fuel and oxygen.
Years ago a small shop here in Milwaukee made drive sprockets for heavy equipment with nothing but a large rotating table, a wood pattern with a spring holding the cutting head in contact with the pattern and a garden hose cooling the cut as the sprocket turned... really low tech, but that didn't stop him from turning out some big parts with more ingenuity than equipment. Once the cut started, he turned off the preheat circuit and cut out the remaining 60" or more with just the cutting lance gassed up.

You can also retrofit a plasma cutter for thinner stock.

Have fun and build more stuff with junk to keep the scrap out of the chinese steel plants

paul

Back