What's new
What's new

Little problem with torchmate 3

farmhouseforge

Plastic
Hello all. I am primarily an artist and blacksmith, cnc is a new area for me.
I have acquired a torchmate 3 table and am cutting sprockets for a kinetic sculpture. My oroblem is the table is cutting along the inside of my line creating sprockets with thin weak teeth. I need to understand how to program the machine to cut to the outside. Any ideas?

are you using the Torchmate CAD Lite software or another?

If you are using Torchmate CAD Lite when you are ready to create a tool path

Select object to create the path, click machine -> create tool path -> male

Thanks for responding.
This is the driver that came with the table. Circa 2004. Version 3.0.9. I am not able to find any place to create a male tool path yet.

I got the sprocket generator from IdleAmusements.com. I have been cutting out ansi #40 with 12 teeth for my tests.

Last time I got a torchmate up and running (the software is a joke BTW)
You had to request "outside" or "male" and then it made the toolpath....

Including a center hole on the sprocket (if you drew on your .DXF file)...:toetap:

So then you have an "outside the lines" toolpath on the hole (which you don't want)
and then you need to edit, and IIRC hand re-do that hole, PITA with a bolt circle
with multiple holes.....:nutter:

Last time I got a torchmate up and running (the software is a joke BTW)
You had to request "outside" or "male" and then it made the toolpath....

Including a center hole on the sprocket (if you drew on your .DXF file)...:toetap:

So then you have an "outside the lines" toolpath on the hole (which you don't want)
and then you need to edit, and IIRC hand re-do that hole, PITA with a bolt circle
with multiple holes.....:nutter:

Its definitely not like that anymore.

If you create the object as a part and create as many holes or shapes as you want then create the toolpath it should create the correct path

I have not been able to find where i can request outside or male toolpath. Is it possible this is not an option for this version? (TM 3.0.9)

I got the sprocket generator from IdleAmusements.com. I have been cutting out ansi #40 with 12 teeth for my tests.

I made the dxf like you specified and see no problem with it in TM

I have not been able to find where i can request outside or male toolpath. Is it possible this is not an option for this version? (TM 3.0.9)

Torchmate has two software packages Torchmate CAD (and CAD Lite) and the Torchmate Control software

You are using the Control software (something like Mach3 but more basic)

The CAD software allows you to create objects, then create a tool path and then export them as DXF files. It is in the CAD software (this is what sproketeer is in this case) where you would create the tool path with either a male, female or online path. You would also setup tool offsets because the plasma tip is for example .060 wide so the tool path is .030 off the edge of the line.

After you have created the tool path and exported it as a DXF file, you would then import it to the control software for cutting.

Many thanks for the respons, jmanatee. I will see if i can do this in the circa 2004 cad program that came with the table.

FYI I think the Torchmate control software is still free, or at least it was before Lincoln Electric took them over.

They have version 4.061 (or above thats the latest I have). But I still use version 3.019 I like it better. You can install both on the same computer at the same time (choose a different folder for install) and then decide which you like best.

One other note. I have the control software installed on my design computer, in my office and if I am working on a complex layout you can load the DXF in the control software (offline) and do a dry run. You can set the speed at something crazy like 1000 IPM or jump through the G-Code looking for a problem.

I usually only do this if I am cutting a entire sheet and want to see the cut order of the sheet.

Well, the cad program that showed up with this machine is AutoCAD 2004, not the torchmate specific cad program. Also, the control software does not appear to be free anymore. Looks like I will need to pay for upgrades and appropriate software. What's more, there was no dongle.
I traded a piece of artwork for this table so I am not too down about this.
Is there a cad and control that are generally considered best? My needs as I imagine them will be cutting art, signage as well as blanks to be forged into 3d shapes. It would also be nice to find a way to make "prints" of my free hand plasma cutouts.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance

You got my curiosity going so I looked at there site, the "Driver Software" is still free, it is here:

Driver Software Downloads | Torchmate

I have Version 3 and 4 apparently there is a new version 4.5. I just downloaded it but have not installed it.

We use the Torchmate Cad Lite version 8.0 revision 1 we like it and it does everything we want and there are quite a few tutorials on youtube and forums about using it.

You can download there cad versions here:
CAD/CAM Downloads | Torchmate

But it will not work with out a dongle. I think the dongles are around $200. But that might be for additional ones you would have to call and ask

Back