What's new
What's new

Lown Rolls?

dirk

Aluminum
I have a chance to purchase two Lown Rolls, one is 5' with 5" diameter rolls, and another 6' with 4" diameter rolls, the capacity tags cannot be found, and I am trying to gauge the capacity for these things, 3/16" on the 5' and 10 ga on the 6'? Also any idea on their value? He is asking $1600 for both, they need a little work on the motor and electrical end, but the rolls themselves look in excellent shape.

Where I live, you would expect to pay twice that for one of em. But machinery prices vary in different parts of the country. Still, it seems like a good deal to me.

The capacity is probably a bit less than you would hope
5' with 5" rolls is probably a G562, which is a 10 to 12 gage roll.
6' with 4" rolls would be more like a 16 gage machine.

here is a late catalog from lown, doesnt show the lighter machine.

Attachments

• lown rolls1.jpg
    lown rolls1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 341
Mmmmmm,
fix the 4" one, sell it on ebay, other machine is paid for and then some.
I think your right ries, there a couple lowns on ebay in this part of the country for $6000 a peice.

Where I live, you would expect to pay twice that for one of em. But machinery prices vary in different parts of the country. Still, it seems like a good deal to me.

The capacity is probably a bit less than you would hope
5' with 5" rolls is probably a G562, which is a 10 to 12 gage roll.
6' with 4" rolls would be more like a 16 gage machine.

here is a late catalog from lown, doesnt show the lighter machine.

Since the 5' machine needs motor repair what upgrades would you make? I am thinking a VFD would make a real nice upgrade so you could slow down the rolls, but I think vfds are only good on single phase motors right?

I think vfds are only good on single phase motors right?
Not at all. Industrial VFDs drive far more three phase motors than single phase. In fact, using a VFD with either single phase supply or a single phase motor is a bit of a special case.

Back