What's new
What's new

sheetmetal shear specs of a FJ Edwards

D KIRBY

Aluminum
I have come across a shear that I am considering buying,but have never heard the name of before. I cant seem to find an id. tag or serial # On the casting is the name FJ Edwards Ltd NWI and what looks to be a casting # PG 3 G and then PG62.
I would like to know the capacity of this little shear. it will cut 4ft. and is operated with an elec. motor and flywheel

F J Edwards are now part of Edwards-Pearson.The NW1 after the name is the area of London,England they were in,a very long time ago.They built very good machines and they are still very common in the UK.I have two Edwards power guillotines,one is powered with a motor,flywheel,electromagnetic clutch and brake.Is yours like that?
As a rule of thumb most of the old powered guillotines at 48" wide would cut 1/8" mild steel.
Under that they were usually treadle.Got a picture?
Mark.

Mark, the shear does have the elec. motor and flywheel, not sure of the electromag. clutch and brake, it was not wired up and there is a guard over the flywheel. There was a sheared piece of metal at the back of the machine, looked to be about 1/8 to 3/16 thick. Any idea what the value of these are and there quality?

I did not realize that I had posted this question, I went to edit my first post and I thought that I had somehow lost it.
The reason for the edit was because the same seller has a Brown and Boggs shear
Series 300 TYPE 349c
I was hoping to get some info for this shear also. I have looked on the internet, but I have proven to be computer illiterate. I do not have a digital camera as of yet so no pics.
Thanks for any help,
Dave

Sounds like you have the model with the flywheel outside the end frame and a mechanical clutch.My motor and flywheel is between the frames which makes it a nice compact machine.As I mentioned before all Edwards stuff is good.The only problem you might have and it applies to all mechanical clutch machines not just Edwards is that the clutch ring and key might be worn allowing the clutch to "nibble".
My 48 x 1/8" machine was on production for many years,regularly doing over 20.000 cuts/week and the only repairs it ever needed was to change the wander lead now and again.Over here assuming the machine is not older than sixties it would be worth a minimum of $1000.Is it open framed on the ends?
Mark.

I am just going by memory now, but yes the flywheel is outside the end piece. I looked at 2 shears and 3 brake presses at the same place. I have to get a digital camera to keep things straight.
I cant remember if the ends are open or closed Mark. Would that make a difference on the vintage of the machine?
These 2 shears are in a production environment but just having a quick look at them they appear to be in good condition with little use.
The maintenance manager would like to do a package deal on the shears, so I am trying to gather info on both of them.
The Edwards machine looks like it would be the better of the two.
I will look at the Edwards shear a little more closely. Is there anything else to look for Mark?

Thanks Dave

ok Mark I took another look at the shear. The motor and flywheel sit very low at the outside of the frame and yes the ends are open.
The Brown and Boggs by comparison has the motor and flywheel very high up on the frame.
Dave

Back