What's new
What's new

Messer Metalmaster XCEL Reviews

AD Design

Stainless
The company where I work is about ready to pull the trigger on a plasma cutting system to help with fabrication. I don't know if they have any real first-hand experience with a plasma system, purchasing for companies is too often left in the hands of those that can only read the sales brochures. The price tag warrants a review from someone other than the sister operation in Pa. If any of the collective has experience with Messer, the products they sell, or even a competitor's equipment I'd really appreciate the opinions from those that own/use. I was a machinist/toolmaker for 25 years and don't know enough about a plasma system to have a qualified opinion but do know to solicit and listen to the voice of experience. I have questions regarding accuracy, maintenance, and the drilling option but any comments would be helpful. Thank you for taking your time to read this.

Messer builds a top of the line machine. This will be a six figure purchase I'm guessing. What features are you looking at including?
Their ducted fume removal and the "Slagger" clean out features are great too.
I have a water table and would probably go with down draft system to do it again.

I should think it's a buyers market right now.

I would send them some CAD files, have them burn them for you.

Inspect thoroughly, if you like what you see, then proceed to a tour
of the identical machine in their shop.

How they do things, all the way from receiving that CAD file, to programming,
hole optimizing, nesting, and actually running.

^ Im with doug, the machines only one part, nesting software is everything when it comes down to what machine, you want a combination that plays well together. That means both the table, plasma, extraction and nesting. Any one being off is a killer on even the best of machines.

TF Pace- Yes it is a six figure purchase, all the more reason why I suggested getting some advice from those that might have a valid opinion. Most of what may be driving this choice would be the opinion of the sister operation. The only option that I know the company has expressed an interest in is the drilling option. This could be interesting but the sales brochure doesn't give many specifics.

Doug- Good advice, my thoughts on the matter as well. When in doubt, let's take it for a test drive and find out what it will do. Because this is one of the few machines I haven't run I'm not capable of offering a qualified opinion beyond measuring/quantifying the results.

As I've remarked to a dept. supervisor, it's all about what you want something to do and the expectations you have for it. If that can't be defined then your prospective purchase will be problematic in developing a purpose. I think the company is sticking a toe in the water of "roll-yer-own" parts for prototype and some production. They used to fab most of the product here but phased that out a few years before I got here by selling off most of the machinery that was used for fabrication.

Thank you both for taking your time to reply, other opinions are openly invited.

Back