What's new
What's new

Mig Welder giving strange voltage dc outputs at certain settings, IT ISNT THE SWITCH

sapwood

Aluminum
IVE GOT A NUMIG 165, onn settings 1,2 and 5 I get the correct DC voltage at the tip judging by my multimeter. but on settings 3,4 and 6 I only get 3v. I honestly don't think its the switch as ive repaired others with dodgy switches in the past and they either break connection on work and that's that. ive never had it where you get a consistent 3v from problem switch settings..
if anyone can advise further it be much appreciated

I don't but I found out what it was and fixed it by rebuilding the switch. it is a real weird switch named Schu? something and its like a modulat switch with stacks of clipon modular parts, one stack per number of turns on the switch plus a base from which the stacks begin from. so for example for my 6 position switch it has a base plus 6 stacks. Each stack has two contactors on springs, copper contactors. running thru the middle of all these stacks is a spiral knotched selector.
All that had happened was the contactors on 3 of the 6 positions had stuck open. I just had to cean, lightly oil and reassemble. WORKS A TREAT NOW THANKS.

Back