What's new
What's new

miller 161sth suitability for stamped receiver welding

D.Orris

Plastic
I am in the process of buying my first brand new tig and would like to reach out to you people for a little advise.

after wading through multiple pages of cheap Chinese/Korean/general Asian region low quality tig welders I ended up with two more viable options.

The miller 161 sth , and the Lincoln square wave.

So i spent a few hours reading reviews for both , and while both seem more or less comparable , I'm getting a bit of a Glock and Taurus feel between the two.

the Lincon is cheaper , has high frequency start, and has generally good feedback, but with a surprising number of complaints over being broken when unboxed

the miller is a tad more expensive , also has high frequency start , and has nothing but good feedback along with a rather nice warranty

the vast majority or what I will be doing is welding up stamped sheet-metal receivers ,semi-auto versions of G-3's,MP-5's,AK-47/74/akms, UZIs,ect, with the occasional bolt knob replacement for custom rifles ,As well as some HK sigh bases.

Currently i am leaning more toward the miller , but that is not yet set in stone; If anyone has any feedback on this , or knows how either of these welders handle on the lower end of the power spectrum I would like to hear from you.

For reference currently i am using a dc arc welder hooked up to a tig adapter cable so either is a step up.

Forget it , I called Miller and they pointed me in the right direction;Ended up ordering a cst-280

would a mod clean this up please.

Back