What's new
What's new

Miller 250 X help

kensmachine

Cast Iron
I have a used 250X mig welder I am having trouble with. I have to run with the mix at 40 cfm to get a good looking weld or it's full of holes. this looks Like it's been a problem with this machine came from a friends estate so he is in the big shop in the sky so I can't ask him anything about the machine . I have some things he welded with this machine and the welds are full of holes I was thinking I had the problem fixed I pulled the covers off vacuumed the machine out pulled all the gas lines apart and blowed them out the gun and lead look good. Thanks ken

40 CFM is waaaaay to much shielding gas, you can actually create a turbulence that sucks in surrounding air to the weld zone.
That said I would check for leaks in the gas hoses as well as the GMAW torch O-rings.
With the shielding gas turned on, from the regulator to the gas solenoid inside the power source you should see no gas flow until you activate the trigger on the gun.
Even with something around 18 CFM you should easily hear the gas flow at the guns nozzle.
If you can't detect gas flow with the trigger pulled then you need to check the gas defuser in the gun, could be plugged with spatter.

Super.
You may want to try at lower cfm , just to save gas.
We run a bunch of GMAW machines here on 75/25(argon/co2) shielding gas set a 16-18 cfm and get code quality work.
Mike.

Back