What's new
What's new

Cutting helmet glass

Sophiedoc

Cast Iron
I have a piece of dark helmet glass which is too large.Wife(who cuts glass all the time with her stained glass hobby says let me do it).Using her usual technique the glass wouldn't break but she took it to the guru instructor for sawing etc but they said the glass would shatter or "explode" and wouldn't touch it.There must be a way to do this-thanks in advance for any help.

It's probably tempered glass, and if so, will crumble if you attempt to cut it.
(Just like auto glass). Check with an auto glass shop - they may have a method to cut it. Go to a real glass shop, not one that specializes in windshield replacing.

Unless your trying to fit an oddball size helmet...Buy a new piece of glass.

What if you do get it cut, and in use it shatters ? while your welding....
I don't like getting flashed.

Probably under $10 at your welding supply place.

Welding filters are harded (if glass) and will break into small blocky pieces if stressed. Pretty much a safety requirment of the industry. There are plastic lenses you can saw down for a couple bucks if the idea is to keep an antique helmet. $30 can get you a new industrial welding helmet ready to run out of the box. Then there is always the issue of having the right lens for the work at hand...so easier to buy off the shelf parts. Use the correct safety regulated parts...it is your health...which is more valuable that cheap.

Some of the more elaborate auto darkening helmets have an adjustment for filter darkness. Set it light for stick, darker for Mig/tig, etc........(mine doesn't).
When I first turn mine on I check it for operation by glancing up toward the sun; it should darken even if not looking directly at the sun. Course this don't work by moonlight..........but mine gets stored for long periods of time and I like some assurance its functional when I pull it out to use. The battery must be 10 years old at least......

water jet!

as a former water jet operator, just about the only piece of material you Can't cut is tempered glass it will shatter. In fact I remember my machining teacher challenging us with away to cut tempered glass.

the material has 2 layers in tension and one in compression, if you start cutting it, the energy will be released and it will shatter into those safe little pieces.

My vote is for buying a replacement lens that fits, or going with an auto darkening helmet. I use a Miller elite pro and I wouldn't have it any other way, much lighter than fiberglass helmets, good window and I do everything from shade 5-14

Back