What's new
What's new

Related to plasma table build thread: Height of Htherm T60 drag vs machine shields?

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
I'm wondering if someone with some consumables in a drawer can help me out here. I'm building a plasma table, and am starting out using a Hypertherm T60 hand torch. The next time I'll be able to get supplies over here is a month or two away, and I'm not going to be able to wait that long to make my first cuts with the table!

Unfortunately, I didn't read enough before I ordered consumables, and bought a drag shield (p/n 120929) instead of the shielded machine one (p/n 120930) that I should've gotten. I will have the right thing brought over when I am able, but in the meantime, I looking at the diagrams online, it appears that I might be able to modify a spare drag shield to make it into a pretty close approximation of the shielded machine one just by grinding the tip down. Is anyone who has both of them handy able to tell me the height of each? Or, alternatively, how far recessed the nozzle face should be from the shield level when assembled?

Thanks!

The drag shield has castleations that extend .060" beyong the machine shield. I recommend machining off this amount, not grinding. Machining the outside face will not affect the internal distance between the shield and the nozzle.....which is critical to cut quality.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

I'm wondering if someone with some consumables in a drawer can help me out here. I'm building a plasma table, and am starting out using a Hypertherm T60 hand torch. The next time I'll be able to get supplies over here is a month or two away, and I'm not going to be able to wait that long to make my first cuts with the table!

Unfortunately, I didn't read enough before I ordered consumables, and bought a drag shield (p/n 120929) instead of the shielded machine one (p/n 120930) that I should've gotten. I will have the right thing brought over when I am able, but in the meantime, I looking at the diagrams online, it appears that I might be able to modify a spare drag shield to make it into a pretty close approximation of the shielded machine one just by grinding the tip down. Is anyone who has both of them handy able to tell me the height of each? Or, alternatively, how far recessed the nozzle face should be from the shield level when assembled?

Thanks!

The drag shield has castleations that extend .060" beyong the machine shield. I recommend machining off this amount, not grinding. Machining the outside face will not affect the internal distance between the shield and the nozzle.....which is critical to cut quality.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Thanks a lot Jim, I was hoping you might chime in, but not sure you could because of corporate restrictions. I promise to be a good boy and buy the right part next time I can, but this will get me cutting for a month before that can happen. When I said grind I meant to throw it on the surface grinder, but if you're saying I should just mill it off, that's what I'll do.

Awesome - I think I'm a week or two away from my first cuts. Will I be the first Hypertherm cnc plasma table in West Africa that you're aware of? I'm almost certain I'm the first one in my little country here (of any brand)!

We have been working with worldwide cnc machine builders since the mid 1970's......there may be a few in your region but I have no way of knowing! Good luck, and as questions arise feel free to ask.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Will I be the first Hypertherm cnc plasma table in West Africa that you're aware of? I'm almost certain I'm the first one in my little country here (of any brand)!

Check out mechmate.com and ask about African located machines there.. MechMate was designed in South Africa and people on that site might be able to answer your question...

Good luck with your machine!

Check out mechmate.com and ask about African located machines there.. MechMate was designed in South Africa and people on that site might be able to answer your question...

Good luck with your machine!

Thanks swatkins, I don't think I need help, was just curious if we're the unofficial flagship machine for Hypertherm in west Africa! Our shop is also run from solar power (off the grid) - I'd imagine worldwide the collection of solar powered plasma tables is pretty small, haha...

Our shop is also run from solar power (off the grid) - I'd imagine worldwide the collection of solar powered plasma tables is pretty small, haha...

This I gotta see....

What happens when the air compressor kicks in while the plasma is firing ?

Maybe some pix of your power generating set-up ?

This I gotta see....

What happens when the air compressor kicks in while the plasma is firing ?

Maybe some pix of your power generating set-up ?

Here's a video about the system (about 15 minutes):

It's a 12kw 3 phase system (which can surge 2x that for up to 10 seconds if the manufacturer is to be believed). The compressor running is about 4kw, and the plasma cutter at 60 amps is another 6-8kw, so I think it's possible I'll be limited to 40a cutting. We do also have a 30kw generator, so if we have some heavier cutting to do, I can always wait to run some jobs when the generator is running. I could also always use feed holds to keep the compressor and the plasma cutter from running at the same time, but that sounds a little more complicated than I'm going to want to have to manage.

We do already use that same system to run the lathe, mill, welders, saws, etc - so I know it can kick out some juice. These two things at once will be a new test though, lol.

Back