What's new
What's new

Multibend forming tools in press brake

JP Machining

Stainless
Are there any good books or websites that talk about how to design and build forming dies to run in press brakes? I have some parts that are moving toward higher production and seems like several of them could be made in one hit on the brake instead of multiple. For example; one part is 20 ga 304 ss roughly 8" sq with a 1/2" flange bent up on each side and either a X bend across the middle or maybe could form some ribs for gussets instead. Right now that part is 6 bends, thinking it shouldn't be too hard to make a tool to bend them all in one press but unsure on where to start, like what kind of steel, are rotary bend dies prefered for ease of programming depth to change the flange bend angles, do you form the ribs through middle first and then use die springs to float that section lower to the area that bends the flanges?

I have a die design fundamentals book but that seems to deal more with punching out from sheet where as I am starting with plasma/laser cut parts. If I can figure out how to build these myself would be the best, might start with a smaller easier one at first but could still really improve throughput on these repeat parts.

Back