What's new
What's new

Murex Autolynx 160 mk2 low power out, poor welds. HELP!!

sapwood

Aluminum
IVE gOT TWO WELDERS AT AUCTION!!! cheap too...
but the autolynx seems to be low on power and I can only presume its generating low amperage as the dc output, yet still a little low 32vdc on top setting 160amp 240v, should be 40vdc at tip if it were brand new outa the box. compared to another numig 165 welder I got which at its top setting outputs 24vdc and its actually hitting that vdc mark and welds perfectly.
So where is she loosing power? is it the capacitors, the diodes on the DC rectification side?
I don't yet have a capacitor tester so I cant confirm if the caps are still 100% or not.

Test the capacitors by using your volt-ohmmeter:

DISCHARGE THE CAPACITORS FIRST WITH SOMETHING METAL. Google it if you don't understand.
Disconnect the capacitor from the circuit
Turn the ohmmeter to the highest setting.
Touch the leads to the terminals on the capacitor.
If it sits at nearly zero ohms, the capacitor is bad.
If it is good, it should start at nearly zero and then start rising over a period of a few seconds until it reaches infinite resistance. The larger the capacitor, the slower the speed of rise of resistance in the readout.
Swap the + and - leads. The multimeter readout should start again at a very low resistance and then move to infinite resistance.
This does not guarantee a good capacitor, but it does rule out some of common faults.

If it is either constantly nearly zero resistance or infinite resistance, the capacitor is bad.

i will test the caps Wednesday. I cant understand why it just doesn't seem to have any JAM yetim getting good DC votages at the tip. on its top setting it should be 40vdc, im getting 36vdc
I have noticed the pots on the front of the machine aere way past there best, the wire feed pot is dry and feels awfull under the thumb. ive also noticed even though it does ramp up the wire feed motor it doesn't do it very linear. I know that the machine amps are directly connected to the wire feed speed too so could this didgy pot be preventing it from jamming at its full potential...
The stitch weld pots for length and stop time are also both shot to bits...
the machine has two electrolytic 250000 caps. If I need to replace could I use a combination of to get the same uF amount and have them parallel? as ive access to plenty good caps but non quite that size.

ive actually tested the caps tonight and with multimeter set to 2000 ohms the caps, both of them respond like I was advised they would if they were good caps. after discharging them from taking them out. out the meter probes on and they slowly ramp up and keep going, if I switch the leads it does the sme but ramps back down.
I have found out something from the sellerof this Murex mig today that he had the machine looked at before giving me it and the engineer told him its got problems controlling voltage CV and the wire feed motor is working right. But the motor sounds fine to me nd pushes wirre fine. ramps up its speed if I turn the dial and vice versa? Also didn't understqand how he stated it had problem controlling voltage. I have the rted voltages measured at the tip from my meter. I thought it amps that th wire feed side controlled and this also being where a mig gets its heat/penetration from was the machines ability to control the amps relative to the arc length it monitors and the wire feed setting.
Some to summerise my two caps are fine and im now looking within the wire feed and lso towards measuring the machines amperage delivery at the tip when welding....
CAN ANYONE ADVISE OR ADD TOT HIS WHO HAS MORE EXPERIENCE......

Back